cable run through back box

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TTbangbang

Trainee DEI
Reaction score
It is ok to pass a cable straight through a back box being used by other cables? ?:|

(and if so, do you do this alot?)

The scenario is a ring circuit with a socket outlet vertically below another. The incoming ring cable drops down the wall and connects to the terminals of the top socket. The outgoing ring cable leaves these terminals and connects to the terminals of the bottom socket. The return cable from the terminals of the bottom socket runs back up the wall, going through the back box of the top socket on the way. [sorry for wordy description, I'll start learning how to use Google SketchUp, promise :) ]

i may be wrong but im sure its ok aslong as the cable passing through the back box is on the same electrical circuit. but i may be wrong so get a second opinion.

Thanks Ma5on :) , it is the same ring circuit. I'll wait for any other opinions and tack on this question -

If a run through a back box is allowed, does the cable have to be on the same circuit? There are some situations where a wall light on a different circuit may be vertically above a socket outlet.

nothing wrong with that in this situation with it being on same circuit, in other circumstances it could be thought of as not good practice.

Nothing wrong with that at all Mate.

As long as you don't mix ELV, SELV and data cables etc, then all is well.

Nothing Wrong With That At All Mate, As Long As They On Same Cct Its O.k. Dave

I knew it was there somewhere... ?:|

just had to run right down the the far end of the basement... :|

behind Admin's "girlie tool bag" thread.. :(

and way past the old "exported earth" soap opera.... :_|

and not far from "who wants a free?".. ; \

and there on the left hand side leaning against the fire escape door... :p

is THIS THREAD>>> ;) ; )

http://www.talk.electricianforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1262&highlight=conduit

Think that covers this topic...

in a nutshell.

NO problems, multiple circuits can go through the same enclosure..

provided suitable insulation & not mix data/phone/tv etc with power!

only limitations may be physical room enough to screw the accessory back onto the box?

best have a deeper back box if you intend doing it! ;) :) :)

You can mix data/phone/tv with power BUT the insulation on the data/phone/tv cables must be rated at 230V or above. (which is a bit rare.....)

As I recall the only circuits you can never mix is emergency lighting and non-emergency power/lighting. :)

:)

You can mix data/phone/tv with power BUT the insulation on the data/phone/tv cables must be rated at 230V or above. (which is a bit rare.....)As I recall the only circuits you can never mix is emergency lighting and non-emergency power. :)
Indeed so Mr S!

it is Insulation that is one of the key limitations.

As I recall the only circuits you can never mix is emergency lighting and non-emergency power/lighting. :)
surly thats wrong, what about when your running singles in trunking, you always mix power, lighting and emergency lighting.

Nothing wrong with different circuits either...consider all those circuits entering a CU? ;)
also consider all those ccts in metal trunking etc.

It all comes from trying to keep cables in the safe zones and in the same channel that has been channeled out of the wall, otherwise the cable to a light switch above a socket will have to go around the socket. I used to do this, but i just go around now.

also consider all those ccts in metal trunking etc.
Applaud Smiley:) Indeed! :D

It all comes from trying to keep cables in the safe zones and in the same channel that has been channeled out of the wall' date=' otherwise the cable to a light switch above a socket will have to go around the socket. I used to do this, but i just go around now.[/quote']

surly thats wrong, what about when your running singles in trunking, you always mix power, lighting and emergency lighting.
I'm talking about emergency lighting that is supplied via a battery room (ie DC power) not maintained/non-maintained AC but I will double check on that statement. Blushing

yes youre right sort of, central battery emergency lighting cable should be routed separately from other ccts, but mic or firetuf cable etc often used for this is fireproof/resistant and IS considered seperate even when routed with others.

I wish statements like these that are found in the regs etc where written in better english.

Sometimes I think the same blokes who wrote the clues for Dusty Bin wrote the regs ( if anybody can remember what that was).

Sometimes I think the same blokes who wrote the clues for Dusty Bin wrote the regs ( if anybody can remember what that was).
I remember Dusty Bin. It was a carp quiz show! ;)

yes, the cables are seperate even when they are not.....The electrical wiring regulations are not actually regulations until they appeared in the building regulations.

yes all in plane "Dusty Bin" English, as I put it.(You would know what im on about if you heard the explanations to the clues in that show)