Cable Tracer

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These are for telephone networks (I don't know if you know that). You can get fuse-finder versions, such as this.

I have one of the fuse-finder pro's and I must admit that it doesn't get used a lot. Only handy when you need to shut down a circuit that has no labeling in big multi-way three phase boards when you can't risk shutting down the wrong circuit! And it's not that accurate! :( You can trace cables that you have access to but it doesn't work through walls or any metal shielding.

Hi Mr S!

Appreciate that it is intended for telephone networks - but I was thinking how useful it would be to be able to trace where cable has been routed and identify breaks.

As I understand it the equipment is like an RF signal generator and a receiver - so in principle you could trace cables underground (or under floorboards). As such I can't see why it couldn't be used on Twin and Earth as telephone cables are also unscreened.

I always thought that fuse finders only helped to identify the outlets on a circuit rather than the cabling - but having never used one (or seen one!) I'm probably wrong!

I thought this Maplins job looked like this Fluke device and wondered if I'm reading it wrong!

http://fluke.informationstore.net/efulfillment.asp?publication=10930-eng

Ohhhh....... I LIKE the Fluke one! That looks nice (and expensive!) :^O

Seriously though, the telephone tracer's tip needs to be amoungst the cables. They only work with in a very, very short range.

Ohhhh....... I LIKE the Fluke one! That looks nice (and expensive!) :^O Seriously though, the telephone tracer's tip needs to be amoungst the cables. They only work with in a very, very short range.
Thanks for that - appreciated!