cables in roof space

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisgjudd

Reaction score
where does one place electric cables in the roof space, i've seen loose cables over insulation, cables under. if on top of insulation surely in the summer the ambient temp is an issue, if clipped to joists then covered are they deemed completely surrounded by insulation.

Hoping for some sound advice Chris

where does one place electric cables in the roof space, i've seen loose cables over insulation, cables under. if on top of insulation surely in the summer the ambient temp is an issue, if clipped to joists then covered are they deemed completely surrounded by insulation.Hoping for some sound advice Chris
if clipped to joists then covered they are NOT deemed completely surrounded by insulation.

see table 4A2..

installation methods specifically for T&E in thermal insulation.

page 265... the BIG RED BOOK!!! ;) :)

that may help a bit m8:D

Read in NICEIC magazine a few years ago to wire lights in 1.5mm so that thermal effects can be ignored. So I tend to do this, and not worry about insulation etc. Cables go in where convienient to me unless loft boards/ rubbish/ dead pigeons/ other things dictate otherwise. If I'm feeling keen I even clip them in place, but no other ****** seems to bother round here, so spacings are a bit further apart than recommended and only really clip in vertical plane running up roof truces for attic lights