cables under insulation in loft

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really quick question (I hope) that is a bit relevant to this question.

I had loft insulation installed yesterday through the government scheme (I can only assume it was all done correctly), and the insulation covers my light switch for the loft (It's on a beam and I have to push it down a bit to access), is this safe? should I just cut a bit of the insulation out? The light is usually off as I rarely go in to the loft, so don't imagine it's getting hot very often.

Thanks.

If it was me I would just cut a bit of the insulation, take it we are only talking about a very small piece anyway.

What about the rest of the cables / fixtures that may be covered? shower cables, halogen down lights being a couple of the more susepetible ones to overheating.

Yes it would only be a small bit, I assumed the answer would be to cut it.

I don't think our shower goes through the loft as it is in the flat roof extension (although who knows if that was done correctly). 

I am assuming it was done correctly, most of the halogen lights are under some boarding that was left in and I know they used boxes for the ones that weren't.

From what I recall there wasn't much other cabling up in the loft.

Put a bit of board, even if its cardboard in front of the switch so you don't get that orrible itchy insulation on your hand/arm when poking around in the dark for the switch. The switch if correct will not get hot and no down-rating would be needed so don't worry. Be more concerned about the heat from halogen lighting.