Called out last night

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NozSpark

Seaman stains™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got a call out last night (tripping RCD). Narrowed it down to one particular socket circuit - 3 cables into MCB r1 0.43 - rn 0.44 - r2 0.69 (r1 to r1 of spur 23k WTF!!) and that's with the earths an neutrals disconnected also!!

Checking IR I got 0.01 L-E on the ring and started to try and locate the fault, after splitting the ring at some sockets I still had a fault at 6 sockets, I disonnected these and they still had a low IR!!

All bar 1 or 2 sockets had 2 cables and are not spurs!! god knows how many JB's and their configuration lies under the suspended floor, also cables are old imperial PVC so I have recommended a rewire.

Got a call out last night (tripping RCD). Narrowed it down to one particular socket circuit - 3 cables into MCB r1 0.43 - rn 0.44 - r2 0.69 (r1 to r1 of spur 23k WTF!!) and that's with the earths an neutrals disconnected also!!Checking IR I got 0.01 L-E on the ring and started to try and locate the fault, after splitting the ring at some sockets I still had a fault at 6 sockets, I disonnected these and they still had a low IR!!

All bar 1 or 2 sockets had 2 cables and are not spurs!! god knows how many JB's and their configuration lies under the suspended floor, also cables are old imperial PVC so I have recommended a rewire.
:eek: :O:O:O:O:| :(

Phtt! WTF! dodgy meter or Fairy tales?me thinks cert writer was on option 2!

Best of luck with it m8!
Me too. :p

Nice one Noz

if you discover some of the diy wiring and is real bad take some photos and post them on here....we all like a laugh.

I tell you what I got really confused when testing it... seperate ring at board, find a socket showing a fault, remove socket and disconnect, test each leg BOTH GOT IR FAULTS - had the same at another socket - now that is that one crazy figure 88 ring???

No luck needed, they aagreed to the rewire there and then!! :x
:) :) :D :D:D:D:x:x

Now those are the sort of customers I like...

explain the problem to them...

They see & understand improvement work would be the far better solution! :) :)

:) :) :D :D:D:D:x:xNow those are the sort of customers I like...

explain the problem to them...

They see & understand improvement work would be the far better solution! :) :)
Indeed Specs. :)