callout to MCB won`t stay on....

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kme

Fridge Keyholder™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fault appears to be cooker circuit (40A) - 6mm

gas hob - plug-in single oven.

two double sockets in kitchen fed from cooker socket in 2.5 :( :(

one is behind washing machine.

tests narrow fault to this cct.

"can you pull washing machine out please?"

see double socket, and this plug:

http://i316.photobucket.com/albums/mm323/kmelectric/IMG_0237.jpg

ooh!! looks like it might have got a bit warm??

have you seen a 2 pin plug, which looks like a 3 pin plug?

http://i316.photobucket.com/albums/mm323/kmelectric/IMG_0236.jpg

The other pin didn`t stay in the socket - it wasn`t there at all.

The landlord had responded to a request for more sockets, by plugging a 4 way extension lead into the double socket, and letting the tenants put their washing machine, dishwasher and tumble dryer on the 4 way.

This is the plug on the 4 way.......

http://i316.photobucket.com/albums/mm323/kmelectric/IMG_0235.jpg

Be afraid. My customer was.

Oh, yes. Same house had 2.5 radial on 32A mcb. Split load board installed recently. No labelling, and only item on rcd side is leccy shower.

And the BAD news?????

The tenants are my daughter, and three grandkidsX(X(X(X( X(

I`m hoping to meet the landlord.........................

"can you pull washing machine out please?"The tenants are my daughter, and three grandkidsX(X(X(X( X(

I`m hoping to meet the landlord.........................
That is shocking!

I'm more disappointed you stood by and made your daughter and grand kids pull the washing machine out :eek:

Apache: She has a big strapping boyfriend, who hasn`t had operations on his spine :)

SL / steps: yes. My thoughts too!. I`ve told em to get the landlord up, show him the socket (his "mate" did the CU, apparently).

The daughter is going to give him my card, and tell him that, after it`s been put "right", I`m going up there to inspect it.

Gawd help him if its another botch job,m `cos I won`t !!!

erm..... Steps, m8.....Think the phrase might be "duty of care"?????

Frigging Heck, Martyn.

If your Daughter does say that you'll be up to inspect it afterwards, I wonder if he will give YOU the job to do and any other work, after a nice thorough PIR. ;)

Report him to the Local Autority as all dwellings which are to be rented have to be checked and be suitable by law now, if not they can be fined up to

Apache: She has a big strapping boyfriend, who hasn`t had operations on his spine :) SL / steps: yes. My thoughts too!. I`ve told em to get the landlord up, show him the socket (his "mate" did the CU, apparently).

The daughter is going to give him my card, and tell him that, after it`s been put "right", I`m going up there to inspect it.

Gawd help him if its another botch job,m `cos I won`t !!!

erm..... Steps, m8.....Think the phrase might be "duty of care"?????
think you may be right, :) you knew what I meant anyway Blushing

you might even get to remind him about part P as its in a kitchen!!

wonder what his other properties are like ?:| ? :|

Thats bad! :eek:

But why did the plug melt? Surely the fuse should have gone?

Is it an overload issue? The reasons plugs overheat is poor contact with the socket (or bypassed fuse).

D.

Thats bad! :eek: But why did the plug melt? Surely the fuse should have gone?

Is it an overload issue? The reasons plugs overheat is poor contact with the socket (or bypassed fuse).

D.
As it's an overload issue rather than a short circuit the fuse can take a lot more than 13A for hours! However the plastic around the pin cannot!

I must admit that I've not seen it that bad before! :_|

Don`t THINK the fuse had been bypassed/

Can`t be sure though. Hard to see on the photos, but the inside of the plug is pretty much gone!

Yes, mate, it`s the worst one I`ve seen to date, too :(

If the socket didn`t make good, tight connection; that could cause the heat. Fuse wouldn`t go, though - 1st thing in line is a 60898/40B !

Based on what legal grounds???As I understand it, it is still upto the landlord to decide if they want to be legally liable for the electrics or not - not seen anything which forces them to have electrics PIR'd
They are not forced to PIR a property and get a certificate and everything, but they are legally bound to make sure the property is safe, and a PIR is one way of proving you are at least trying to make the property safe.

Hi all,

I am an electrician in Kent and new to the forum.I have been sparkying for twenty ish years now and seen plenty of sites for sore eyes.I am now working in maintenance for a local university with foriegn students up to all sorts of tricks.

Anyway enough about me and that lanlord wants stringing up for that.I do hope its sorted soon.

Bob :)

They are not forced to PIR a property and get a certificate and everything, but they are legally bound to make sure the property is safe, and a PIR is one way of proving you are at least trying to make the property safe.
Even a Visual Inspection is something

'Due Diligence' is whats required by a landlord ie...

'Be seen to have taken all reasonable steps to provide a safe electrical enviroment for the tenants.'

I don't know about the law down south.

There is a council employed 'private sector liason officer' that deals with any landlord / tenant issues (such as saftey / repairs).

I have found them to be on the ball, and they ask you to inform the landlord in writing in the first instance. They can then take action on the landlord.

The landlord has to be 'fit and proper' to be registered. They can prevent him from renting in future if he is dodgy.

Latest posts