Can a tethered type 1 charging lead have it's plug removed and a type 2 fitted?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billy sheds

Reaction score
Hi, I am not an electrician though I did a HTEC in Electronics and Electrical Engineering many years ago so have a some knowledge of the field. I am about to have solar PV panels fitted (10 x 390W). I have found a Zappi car charger on Ebay which I would like to buy and have them fit it. It comes with about 8M of cable and a type 1 plug. That's great coz' that's what my current (no pun intended) Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV uses. I like the fact that the lead is tethered to keep it secure but wondered how feasible it was to change the plug if I change to a different model of car. Any help greatly appreciated. Cheers

I doubt any electrician has done that, since if they get it wrong, then plug it into a car and............
Why not ask Zappi?
The other question is, will your solar panel installers install a car charger, are they qualified?
Also why is the charger being sold?

I doubt any electrician has done that, since if they get it wrong, then plug it into a car and............
Why not ask Zappi?
The other question is, will your solar panel installers install a car charger, are they qualified?
Also why is the charger being sold?
Why not? You ony need to be registered for EV if you want to claim the OLEV grant, same as being MCS registered if you wanted to claim the FiT.

Hi, I am not an electrician though I did a HTEC in Electronics and Electrical Engineering many years ago so have a some knowledge of the field. I am about to have solar PV panels fitted (10 x 390W). I have found a Zappi car charger on Ebay which I would like to buy and have them fit it. It comes with about 8M of cable and a type 1 plug. That's great coz' that's what my current (no pun intended) Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV uses. I like the fact that the lead is tethered to keep it secure but wondered how feasible it was to change the plug if I change to a different model of car. Any help greatly appreciated. Cheers
the plug denotes charge rates, put a plug for a higher charge rate on that cable and it will almost certainly burn out.

the plug denotes charge rates, put a plug for a higher charge rate on that cable and it will almost certainly burn out.
You will need to check if it's a rated 16amp or 32amp cable ,check the cable cross area. Also depending on which it is you may need to change the resister in the actual plug depending if it was 16amp.

Hi, Thank you all for taking the time to reply, though O wonder why some of you have. I never mentioned the cable size or the charge rate (it's 32A) Not interested in grants or FIT. My only query was could the two types of plug be fitted to same cable. I can see that there are different numbers of pins but was unsure whether that meant different numbers of wires needed in the cable or if the extra pin in Type 2 was from the resister inside the plug. I have since found converter leads and adapters so I guess that answers the question. Over and OUT

The PHEV will only draw 16A, even if you have the charger set to 32A.

If the cable is rated 32A, then in future you could fit a Type 2 Plug to it.

If only rated 16A then fit a 32A cable with Type 2 plug to the EVSE.

Is the cable from the CU to the EVSE suitable for 32A ?

Hi, yes I know that the PHEV will only draw 16A. My question was about my next EV. The cable from the CU is fine, 6mm and only 6M long. Thank you for your clear and positive comments.

The PHEV will only draw 16A, even if you have the charger set to 32A.

If the cable is rated 32A, then in future you could fit a Type 2 Plug to it.

If only rated 16A then fit a 32A cable with Type 2 plug to the EVSE.

Is the cable from the CU to the EVSE suitable for 32A ?
The ev chargers can be set by you to give what you desire but the cables are pre set and they use resistors fitted within the plugs. I did have a used 16 amp cable and I checked it it had same cable as a 32 amp ,the only difference was the resistor values. I changed my resistors in this lead so my wife could just plug it in without having to go into the ev settings so I worked out the values to suit my needs which is 3kw which we use in winter when solar panels don't have much light.

What I have read, which may not be true :-<
The resistor indicates :
  • that the plug is inserted
  • that the plug can therefore be locked (type 2 only)
  • the gauge of the cable, and thus the maximum current
The car will still determine the max current it can draw, so a 16A car can attach to a 32A EVSE with a 32A cable that has a 220 ohm resistor.

1500 Ω resistor – 13A cable
680 Ω resistor – 20A cable
220 Ω resistor – 32A cable
100 Ω resistor – 63A cable