Can I connect a 1000W with a 600w load smart fan speed controller?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndreiBuzz

Reaction score
Hi everyone, 

I'm trying to have a clear view of is ok to connect a 1000W industrial fan to a 400W Tuya smart fan controller. I have some knowledge about the electricity but I'm not totally sure if it matters the switch load as long as the fan has is own capacitor. 

I'm asking this as I cannot find to buy a smart controller for the fan above 600w load. 

I got few crypto mining rigs and need them ventilated. I want the fan speed to be controlled via Smart Life app using automation feature linked to the smart thermostat. And set the fan speed according to the room temperature. 

Got already in place this system using 200W industrial fans, but need bigger fans. So I need to know if is any danger connecting the 1000w fan to the 400W smart fan speed controller. 

Thank you in advance!

do you really think something thats designed for 400w will be happy with 1000w going through it? your 'some knowledge' is seriously lacking to the point of i wouldnt recommend you do anything with this. and the capacitor is there for a different reason rather than magically make something use less power

Hi everyone, 

I'm trying to have a clear view of is ok to connect a 1000W industrial fan to a 400W Tuya smart fan controller. I have some knowledge about the electricity but I'm not totally sure if it matters the switch load as long as the fan has is own capacitor. 

:shakehead

Not sure if you are in the UK or not....  (this is a UK forum where the nominal voltage is 230v)...

But..  Power (Watts) = Voltage (Volts) x Current (Amps).

Every item of electrical equipment will have a maximum Current that the components can safely handle before they are likely to be damaged due to the heat generated by the current passing through the circuit..

Which is why protective devices such as; Fuses, Circuit Breakers, MCB's etc..  are included in circuits to prevent damage to cables and/or other components connected to the circuit..

So basically you want to connect a load that will draw approx 2.5 times the amount of current that a switch is designed to control...?   :eek:

Hopefully the device has its own internal fuse(s)..

and/or there is some other suitably rated fuse in the supply..

So you need to double check there is a suitable fuse somewhere..

In which case you will probably just blow a fuse..

If not you will probably be googling e-bay for another smart fan controller..

after you have watched all the smoke and inhaled that recognisable smell of electrical components overheating!!

:coat     

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts