Can of Worms or should it be SPARKS

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ploughman

Reaction score
Recently looked into replacing my Consumer Unit so I did the proper thing. Called in an electrician to get a quote.

Once each visitor viewed the Electric Supply Box I was informed that the TAILS to the Consumer Unit had to be upgraded to 24 gauge so that it conformed to 17th Edition Regulation. This I accepted as I have no doubt about these requlations.

I was asked what type of Unit I required. At present I have 10 connections. This prompted me to consider what I required now and possibly in the furure.

Having no electricity in the garage and also a requirement for power in a conserse vatory with possibly inderfloor heating, I felt it advisable to to have these on a seperate circuit. Thus increasing the number of circuits in the Consumer.

Looking is various electrical outlet it seemed that the common unit available was 15 connections (OK this can be reduced to suit my requirements). But I noted that these unit were rated at 100A, thus the reason for increase

Guys - cut the newbie some slack! I think he's asking 2 questions:

1. Is it reasonable that the electrician wants to replace the meter tails with a larger size?

2. Is it a good idea to buy a bigger consumer unit than required at this time?

The answer is yes to both. It is far cheaper to get a larger board and have spare ways for future expansion.