Can smart light switch be used without earth?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris_Bristol

Reaction score
I've recently bought a new home which is around 30 years old. I want to fit smart light switches however after taking off the switch I have realised their isn't an earth. I'm not looking to rewire for a couple of years yet and I don't want to use the basic plastic white switches so was thinking to use a more elegant looking smart light switch. Would this be ok to do? I have attached a picture of the wiring I have on the socket. The image shows a 2 gang which will be replaced with 1 gang as the other controlled the wall lights which will be removed.

I've looked at possible smart switches and these are below, would these work?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Orbeor-Wireless-Function-Overload-Protection/dp/B07DJ9116W/ref=sr_1_5_m?s=lighting&ie=UTF8&qid=1530431620&sr=1-5&keywords=amazon+light+switch

https://hartingtonheath.com/products/i-lumos-luxury-black-crystal-glass-touch-wifi-remote-dimmer-led-light-switches/

Thank you for your advice and comments.

delete account

they will most likely be suitable and they dont appear to require an earth conenction, you might be lucky and there is one there but been cut back, although it does look like twin without an earth. i hopee you dont have any class 1 lights installed...

if this is the case, you should be considering a rewire sooner rather than later. its dangerous and could burn the house down / kill you / your family, but what the hell, the light switches look good

I think the issue us you don't have a NEUTRAL at the switch. That switch needs a neutral, an ordinary switch does not.

I'm not really understanding how it is wired. Normally if it fed 2 light switches, each twin would be live in and switched live out for 1 light. but you have the switch connected to the two reds and the 2 blacks not used? Were the 2 blacks used previously for the other switch?

It would not surprise me if that is wired in conduit and the box is earthed via the conduit but you would need to do some measurements to confirm that.

they will most likely be suitable and they dont appear to require an earth conenction, you might be lucky and there is one there but been cut back, although it does look like twin without an earth. i hopee you dont have any class 1 lights installed...

if this is the case, you should be considering a rewire sooner rather than later. its dangerous and could burn the house down / kill you / your family, but what the hell, the light switches look good
Thanks Andy.

No, there's double insulated light fittings fitted. I did have a chuckle at the light switches looking good comment, that's all the misses is worried about. Don't worry about the family, as long as you can show off your switches love then that's all that matters!

I think the issue us you don't have a NEUTRAL at the switch. That switch needs a neutral, an ordinary switch does not.

I'm not really understanding how it is wired. Normally if it fed 2 light switches, each twin would be live in and switched live out for 1 light. but you have the switch connected to the two reds and the 2 blacks not used? Were the 2 blacks used previously for the other switch?

It would not surprise me if that is wired in conduit and the box is earthed via the conduit but you would need to do some measurements to confirm that.
Thanks Dave. There are switches that don't require a neutral like the link below, would this one be suitable do you think?

https://hartingtonheath.com/products/i-lumos-luxury-black-crystal-glass-touch-wifi-remote-dimmer-led-light-switches/

I'm not sure to be honest, I had an electrician in to add a couple of sockets and removed the lights that we didn't need. He said something about a junction box in the ceiling that then went to the 3 lights on the wall which was controlled by the switch that will no longer be used. Not sure if that makes any sense to you, it doesn't to me!

Phillips Hue would work for you..............controlled from your phone or tablet
This won't give me pretty light switches though will it?

No but it does mean you can retain existing (no neutral) switches and implement smart switching ............. AND once you have the basics installed, you can add more light bulbs around the house ........................................white or colour changing.

Thanks Dave. There are switches that don't require a neutral like the link below, would this one be suitable do you think?

I'm not sure to be honest, I had an electrician in to add a couple of sockets and removed the lights that we didn't need. He said something about a junction box in the ceiling that then went to the 3 lights on the wall which was controlled by the switch that will no longer be used. Not sure if that makes any sense to you, it doesn't to me!

I don't see anything there to say the switches don't need a neutral. You need to find a link to the manufacturers instructions.

The junction box thing is just the way older houses were wired, nothing wrong with that.

Your electrician should have been able to make a measurement to see if the switch box was earthed through conduit or not.

I don't see anything there to say the switches don't need a neutral. You need to find a link to the manufacturers instructions.

The junction box thing is just the way older houses were wired, nothing wrong with that.

Your electrician should have been able to make a measurement to see if the switch box was earthed through conduit or not.

Apart from the big green note on the screen link?

Apart from the big green note on the screen link?
Ha Ha got me.

I read every word of the description looking for "no neutral" and could not find a link to the instructions either, but missed that.

Should have gone to spec savers (other spectacle retailers are available)