Can this light stay on all night? And if so how can i do it

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miguel_92

Reaction score
Hi. I'd like to know if i can make this light stay on all night, but i am not sure if it can be done or not. If i turn the dial to the moon it will only come on at night, then stay on for about 7 minutes or something then go off. I don't want it on in the day and night as it's a waste of electric really. Thanks

Attachments

• 20220105_172407.jpg
    20220105_172407.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 11
Some lights like that will stay on if you switch them off then back on quickly, but the instructions you post are too small to read. Failing that, why not just buy a floodlight with no PIR

Regarding the light setting it says :

Three modes

Sens mode : Change the detection distance up to 8 metres (26 feet)
Time mode : The light turns on once motion is detected. Extend the illumination from the shortest (12 secs) to the longest (7 mins)
Lux mode : Change the lighting modes from daytime mode (the light even works during the day) or night mode (the light only works when it's completely dark)

Attachments

• instructions.jpeg
    instructions.jpeg
    71.9 KB · Views: 4
There is nothing to say it will stay on with the quick switch mode, but then it appears to be cheap Chinese fodder so you either change it for a better quality or connect it up and see if quick switch works. Failing that but one without a pir called a Floodlight.
Why did you buy something that didn’t suit your needs?

Good to know it's not the correct light i need. I can send it back and get my money back to buy one that only comes on when it's dark. Will a floodlight just come on when it's dark? Or do i need a certain type.

No, a floodlight is just that, a light that floods the area with light.
To have a light come on when its dark and off when its light you need a photocell to detect when it is dark.

If you want it illuminated all night you either need to switch it on manually, the light would be a standard fitting with no sensor or if you want automatic switching then a light which incorporates just a dusk to dawn sensor maybe hard to find unless you retrofit one or fit a separate one.

To be clear i just want a light that comes on as soon as it starts to go dark. Then it will go off in the day.

You can get a variety of lights with built in photo cells, you can also get just photo cells, which means you can connect a light of your choice.
However I suspect that you would be better off getting a competent person in to do the job safely for you.

Thanks for the info. It's best getting someone in who knows how to fit them etc as i don't want to be blown up or start a fire lol. That's the name of one i saw on Amazon just now.

G.W.S® Infinity 20W 1800-2000Lms, Black Casing Outdoor IP65 Waterproof LED Floodlight with Photocell Dusk Till Dawn Sensor, Energy Saving Security Light, Tri-Colour (3000K/4000K/6000K) [Energy Class A+]

Thanks for the info. It's best getting someone in who knows how to fit them etc as i don't want to be blown up or start a fire lol. That's the name of one i saw on Amazon just now.

G.W.S® Infinity 20W 1800-2000Lms, Black Casing Outdoor IP65 Waterproof LED Floodlight with Photocell Dusk Till Dawn Sensor, Energy Saving Security Light, Tri-Colour (3000K/4000K/6000K) [Energy Class A+]

Avoid floodlights with integrated PIR's or sensors is my advice ..........

No, there is no way to keep those on either all the time or all night. They operate for a set time period when triggered by movement as long as its darker than the set 'twilight level'.

Similar models without the PIR can be wired to a separate light sensor, or a timeswitch

Miguel_92,​

Often "all in one" units are made "To a price" which often means quality goes out the window, and then there is the downside of when the unit fails, 90% of the time you have to change the whole thing.

You really would be better off getting a separate photo cell, and a separate light. With regard to the light, get one that you can easily change the lamp (Even LED lamps do not last for ever) I would also suggest a photocell as shown below, the reason is they are simple, cost less than £10, but they last for ever, I have two (don't ask) must be 20+ years old, still working (And a bit grubby looking) Yes they are "industrial looking" but get them mounted ABOVE / HIGHER (As you should) than the light is, and you will not notice them.

Attachments

• pcell.jpg
    pcell.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 0

Miguel_92,​

Often "all in one" units are made "To a price" which often means quality goes out the window, and then there is the downside of when the unit fails, 90% of the time you have to change the whole thing.

You really would be better off getting a separate photo cell, and a separate light. With regard to the light, get one that you can easily change the lamp (Even LED lamps do not last for ever) I would also suggest a photocell as shown below, the reason is they are simple, cost less than £10, but they last for ever, I have two (don't ask) must be 20+ years old, still working (And a bit grubby looking) Yes they are "industrial looking" but get them mounted ABOVE / HIGHER (As you should) than the light is, and you will not notice them.
well they do sometimes fail... i keep a 'failed' one in the van thats stuck on - ideal for testing during the day