Can you run a socket off a light switch?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee70

Reaction score
Hi I am looking for some help. Before the lock down I was doing some work at home in my bathroom and the wife asked for some extra low level LED lighting. Unfortunately we were a bit far on and the nearest power was the socket in the next room. The electrician who was on the job asked me to run the cables and he would come back make the final connection and test it for me. Unfortunately since lock down I think he’s turned his phone off and I can’t get hold of him. The socket we are taking the power from is on a circuit wired into the fuse board in the next room. The cable from the socket goes to a connection box from there I have split one cable off for an electric mirror that’s low voltage, which is all ok. I have also run another cable from the connector to a light switch ( a sensor one so you don’t have to touch it)  from the switch it goes to a fused socket that the leds plug into. The ide is to use the switch to turn the lights on and off while the socket is hidden behind an access panel, it’s wiring the switch I’m not sure about, how to wire it up and if I need any other protection.

I’m afraid to say that I can only recommend you get another local spark to visit site and take it from there ......

if if you are in England or Wales this falls under part p of the building regs and electrics in bathrooms fall under specific regs in BS 7671 which is now the 18th edition

Hi

i know it will come under part P I am running the cables in the corrections zones and I want it done properly. My understanding is from what the sparky told me, I’m ok doing it as long as someone suitably qualified tests it. All I really need to know is do I need to add anything further like an additional fuse in and how do I wire the switch to the socket 

Hi

i know it will come under part P I am running the cables in the corrections zones and I want it done properly. My understanding is from what the sparky told me, I’m ok doing it as long as someone suitably qualified tests it. All I really need to know is do I need to add anything further like an additional fuse in and how do I wire the switch to the socket 

generally no, most can only I&T their own work. to sign off others its either a different scam membership that many of us dont have, or it needs to go through LABC and planning permission

Sorry for the late response I did respond yesterday and it hasn’t shown up for some reason. The socket I was using has a fuse brake built in but I could install one elsewhere if required 

I just worked out how to add photos , I think it’s fairly simple, it’s just the wiring between the switch and socket that’s the issue. I’m using a socket that’s wired into the main fuse board so it’s protected by a fuse . The wire I am taking from the socket is going to a heavy duty junction box (the red line)from there I have run one live cable to an illuminated mirror(yellow), that’s all fine and works. The other cable I was hoping to run through a light switch (green)to (blue)a single socket that has an rcd but it doesn’t have a switch so it would be solely operated by the light switch. The socket will be used for some plug in low voltage LED lighting. It’s sited in a recess in the wall behind an access hatch so fully accessible. I have also included a picture of the switch it’s a Lenovo sensor switch so no actually has to touch it to operate the switch 

F18F94A8-A835-4108-BCA3-B00B90B78B4E.jpeg

1E2244CD-57FC-443F-9241-D94F1539CB91.jpeg

OK, couple of points:-

1/ what fuse is the cct protected by ie is it 30A , 20A or what?

2/ what size cable have you used to feed lights etc etc?

3/ is there RCD protection for the circuit?