Cant work out why ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got a call for an emergency job today where the customer had been hearing pops and bangs, thought it was the heating valves on the boiler so had a plumber change them. The noise still went on and whilst waiting for me he discovered a hole blown in the floor behind the cylinder. Couldn't get in to see much but noticed a hole and a sooty mark on a pipe half a meter away.

The customer knew a cable was buried theer and showed me pics of the builder with cables pined all over the wall to get them behind his new render. Anyhow, i chipped away at the wall and found this

2012-02-02181909.jpg

2012-02-02181830.jpg

2012-02-02181859.jpg

Not the best pics, had trouble getting a good view. I have found blown cables before but never like this. Almost 1.5 meters of cable was melted & charred. As it was exposed the smell of arcing was very strong & even the brickwork was charred. The popping noises had been going on for a couple of weeks. I recon a cable was pinched when the wall was rendered and the damp had taken about 5 years to penetrate. It was a ring circuit so all the sockets were still working, but again, never seen this much damage.

Has exactly the same before christmas. Was behind a washing machine though, and they to could here popping and banging. Didn't help the kitchen walls were soaking due to damp.

Makes me angry, customers going mental because shes worried about her kids getting shocked, so gave a quote to put in a new CU, but what a suprise not had a call to ask me to do the swap. I suppose now its not popping and banging everything must be okay again?!!!

I do wonder about people i know times are hard but why don't people put safety with electrics first RCD's do make properties safer and 3036 fuses really need replacing on socket circuits.

It just so happens i had been recommended to this householder 3 weeks ago for a consumer unit upgrade. I told him an approximate price on the phone and arranged to visit that week. When i did visit he told me he knew it needed doing but some problems with his boiler had just happened (which turned out to be this fault, not plumbing) so would have to put it off till next month. He has already called me to book the job in.