Capping... again.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbo

Reaction score
Following on from the "to cap or not to cap" thread recently. I was wondering, has anyone tried a nail gun for fixing capping to a wall rather than whacking them in (and your fingers) with a hammer?

Anyone tried a gun?

it would help if you didnt make such a general post.

nail gun,

what sort????

hilti type,

paslode type,

air type,

give us a clue here and I might be able to help you as to the suitability,

but I still dont see the point of making a half hearted go at protecting cables.

Well that was the point. Perhaps someone might respond with "yes we do alot of rewires and to save on time we use this....". With a link provided to a suitable nail gun, whatever type it may be and then the thread snowballs into a discussion and we all learn a thing or two.

Not really a simple question just one I was quite interested in the answer of.

Following on from the "to cap or not to cap" thread recently. I was wondering, has anyone tried a nail gun for fixing capping to a wall rather than whacking them in (and your fingers) with a hammer?Anyone tried a gun?
Not sure what sort of gun your thinking of but I've got a paslode framing gun and there is no way i'd attempt to fire into brick etc. i've seen nails do a u-turn on a hard not in timber dread to think what they would do in brick:O

Plus if you did manage to fire into the wall these thing would punch through the capping like it was not there - ask a joiner for a shot of one next time your on site they are brutal tools

It doesn't take much to secure capping, so why all the fuss?

We know it does not offer much in the way of serious mechanical protection, but does protect from from that rather clumsy plasterer.

The Godfather

Nice one Ian.

I agree. My next door neighbour is a fencer. Ive seen his gear in action and yes it would ruin anything pvc if fired into it.

Perhaps something with a bit less kick for thermo/breeze block and cement between brick???

it all depends on the type of block/brick etc you want to fire your nails into so I wouldnt think its a viable option,

a hilti will fire into almost anything (including steel!) with the right cartridges, but requires a licence/permit so is not very popular.

air guns are fairly versatile as well but require a compressor so not mega portable,

paslodes are fairly restricted on nail size and type so would prob need a couple (min) of different ones to cope with differing materials and cost a fair bit so wouldnt have thought very economical.

just how much capping do you intend using that this thought even arose?

Ok - me half sensible answer.

Gas cartridge nail guns (paslode) are great bits of kit and great for roofing, flooring etc but I have seen them struggle on anything but lightweight blocks. They are expensive to buy and consumables cost a lot.

Compressor guns are cheaper and all you have to buy are nails but you have to lug a compressor around. If you have a compressor already may be worth considering.

I also had a play with a Dewalt 18V nail gun and was impressed but only used it on wood, no idea about suitability on masonry.

Realistically how much time do you spend capping, and when you do how many nails do you actually put in it? Roofers may get through 1000's of nails a day.

just how much capping do you intend using that this thought even arose?

Ive got to wire out a 5 bedroom farm house with a barn conversion and two adjacent holiday cottages. All to be 1st fixed before Xmas.

Its up in Mid Wales so a good daily run back and forth unless I stay up there until its done.

Probably going to do it myself, might get a college lad to help me.

Just thinking of time saving options as im flat out through the weeks as it is so this is possibly going to be a weekend thing.

Nice one Ian.I agree. My next door neighbour is a fencer. Ive seen his gear in action and yes it would ruin anything pvc if fired into it.

Perhaps something with a bit less kick for thermo/breeze block and cement between brick???
I dont even attempt to nail into pvc as it splits like hell - just use 30-40mm clouts and nail either side so the nail head traps it to the wall and nail into the gobbo not the block etc. 400-500mm spacing you only holding it in place till its boarded over

What are the barn and cottage bult from? If they are stone I promise no nail gun will touch it!

Chasing out may be fun.

I live in a stone cottage and need a SDS rotary hammer drill to make a 7mm hole for a rawlplug to put up a few shelves. My 700W hammer drill made it through the plaster and stopped!