Caravan Park Electrics

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Evening all,

apologies first as this is my first encounter with a caravan park.

ive been asked to price for a caravan pitch socket outlet. currently has a CU with 30mA main switch, then 5 16A mcbs supplying 5 socket outlets which are located on the outside wall of toilet block(cu located in locked cupboard in toilet block). each of the socket outlets are protected by a further 30mA RCD and 16A mcb in the socket outlet enclosure. neither RCD is timed delayed. this board is TT'd.

he wants a socket outlet about 20m away from toilet block. just had a quick look at the regs (greeney) - thinking 2.5 2/3 core swa buried at 0.6m, from cu protected by 20A mcb to enclosure. gonna try to see if he'll have the the main switch changed to 100mA time delayed- but as always cost has to be kept to minimum. in the enclosure 30mA rcd and 16A mcb or RCBO. TT rod at enclosure.

does this sound about right or am i way off? are they special enclosures for caravan pitches or just an enclosure on some sort on rod/stand- if special where are they bought from - havent asked my wholesalers yet but will tomorrow.

thanks in advance

wayne

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 22:22 ---------- Previous post was made at 22:08 ----------

just found this, what would you mount this on to to get the height.

Caravan Hook Up Unit - 1 x 16 Amp Outlet & RCBO

Sounds like you've got it covered to me. I'd be looking to supply something a bit less than a B20 though (look at total load). CEF certainly do hook up boxes so guess other wholesalers will, cheaper than you can build one, they sell galvanised stakes as well.

see your point with RCD & MCB vs RCBO. the one on TLC comes with RCBO but will ring round tomorrow to see whats available locally.

thats what i said originally ( i think) but with 2.5mm, why 4mm?

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 22:57 ---------- Previous post was made at 22:56 ----------

just done calc again for 3% voltdrop and comes out with 4mm, so your right mate

You're right in terms of compliance, the other point I was making, was that if you keep adding extra pitches at 16A, you'll soon run into upstream problems in my experience. Almost every caravan park in the Lake District has learned this the hard way.

thats what i said originally ( i think) but with 2.5mm, why 4mm?---------- Post Auto-Merged at 22:57 ---------- Previous post was made at 22:56 ----------

just done calc again for 3% voltdrop and comes out with 4mm, so your right mate
:worship:worship:worship:worship:Salute:^O

Also, please remember whatever 30mA you put pitch side, with a 30mA up front you will have no discrimination, so, one caravan earth fault tripping the RCD side, could take out the whole board!

Also, please remember whatever 30mA you put pitch side, with a 30mA up front you will have no discrimination, so, one caravan earth fault tripping the RCD side, could take out the whole board!
I think the OP's suggested solution in post #1 would cover this?

been to have another look at the caravan pitch supply (while doing work at there house), currently has upfront wylex RCD 30mA and also the current pitch socket outlets are also protected with 30mA rcbo. i tested the rcd from the outlet rcd and upfront rcd tripped (did expect it). any way mentioned to owner about possible problems if someones equipment caused rcd to trip and likely hood that the main one would trip and every pitch would loose power, "yes we have that quite often" he says!!

Anyway said i would look in to getting a 100mA RCD time delayed - do they do them to fit old wylex boards, cant seem to find any that are the same as this WYLEX - 63AMP / 30MA / RCD WSES 63/2 / RCCB **USED** | eBay but 100mA & time delayed.

if not available would one of these fit in its place

WYLEX WRS80/2 80AMP 30mA DOUBLE POLE RCD - MINT CONDITION | eBay

if not ill change rcd to main switch and put a new one in seperate enclosure before CU, but if this fits straight in it'll save a bit of work.

and thanks for all the suggestions about pitch sockets, ive been in touch with them for some price and pretty reasonable

wayne

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 20:17 ---------- Previous post was made at 20:14 ----------

just realised i put about up front rcd being 30mA in OP. any can i change it for the above

Last edited by a moderator:
There is not a snowballs chance in hell of getting a 100A 100mA S type for that board.

Unfortunately I don't know if the newer type fit or not.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 21:32 ---------- Previous post was made at 21:30 ----------

...and there's no point in changing a 63A 30mA for a 80A 30mA,,,,,, it's still a 30mA RCD

There is not a snowballs chance in hell of getting a 100A 100mA S type for that board.Unfortunately I don't know if the newer type fit or not.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 21:32 ---------- Previous post was made at 21:30 ----------

...and there's no point in changing a 63A 30mA for a 80A 30mA,,,,,, it's still a 30mA RCD
thought as much mate. hopefully someones tried the other!

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 21:37 ---------- Previous post was made at 21:33 ----------

pic was for example this is what i was thinking about 100 Amp 100mA Time Delayed RCD 2 Pole - Wylex

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 21:41 ---------- Previous post was made at 21:37 ----------

just found this WYLEX WSTM 100/2 100A 100mA TIME DELAYED RCD | eBay

i know its now sold but they obvioulsy do them, so hopefully ill be able to get one.