Cat dermatitis

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davemoorenipper

Reaction score
About 4 months ago I took old kitty(14 male) to vet with a urinary problem.This aside,I also mentioned small scabs along the length of his spine and a small bald patch at the base of his tail which obviously irritated him as he kept washing.Vet said milary dertmatitis, and said we should be vigilant about flea treatment and told us to buy Canesten cream.We did this and the problem cleared up in a couple of weeks.

During the past 10 days the condition has come back with avengeance.He has no fleas.

When you run your fingers through his fur the wrong way,it is apparent that this condition is becoming wider spread, and he lets out a hiss when you stroke him.He is a very affectionate cat and this is out of character.

He is restless,and will suddenly jump up as if he has been bitten.I want to know how to treat this as there is no bald patch just hundreds of small scabs which are joining up. He is insured- but gets really stressed about vet visits.

Hello and sorry for delay replying - been sat in front of the computer twice and been called away.

Sorry to say but it sounds like a trip down to the vets is in order. 'Milliary dermatitis' is a symptom rather than a diagnosis - the crusty scabs are a common presenting complaint in cats. Usually caused by an allergy of which flea allergy is the most common (just because you can't see them doesn't mean there's not a low number there). I would recommend that you treated the cat monthly for fleas using an effective product from your vet (we use Frontline Combo).

A short course of steroids or hormone tablets may be in order.

Let me know how you get on!

Hi, Thanks for your reply have taken to vet and prescribed OVARID to deal with irritation- seems to be a reaction to fleas rather than the fleas themselves.Thanks again Dave& Margy

Hello and sorry for delay replying - been sat in front of the computer twice and been called away. Sorry to say but it sounds like a trip down to the vets is in order. 'Milliary dermatitis' is a symptom rather than a diagnosis - the crusty scabs are a common presenting complaint in cats. Usually caused by an allergy of which flea allergy is the most common (just because you can't see them doesn't mean there's not a low number there). I would recommend that you treated the cat monthly for fleas using an effective product from your vet (we use Frontline Combo).

A short course of steroids or hormone tablets may be in order.

Let me know how you get on!
and the part time vet does it again :D

you ever think of being an animal doctor Apache?

you seem to know a bit about them. ;)

Hi, Thanks for your reply have taken to vet and prescribed OVARID to deal with irritation- seems to be a reaction to fleas rather than the fleas themselves.Thanks again Dave& Margy
Yup - they are the hormone tablets I eluded to!

:D