Cat5 socket installation issues

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave_uk

Reaction score
I have installed a new Cat5e cable (about 10m) between my network hub and a new office outlet. The cable does not light up with my cable tester (with new battery). I made a test lead with all pairs shorted out to plug into the wall socket and a second socket (to accept the new RJ45) wired to a choc-bloc. I get 0 ohms on my multimeter for each pair of wires, but still no lights on the tester and no signal detectable on a laptop. Any suggestions how to work out whats going wrong?
Thanks.

Sounds like you have a short on the cable.
What happens if you put your multi meter on the pairs without your test lead.
The other thing to check is did you connect one of the sockets "upside down" so all the cables are reversed?
Failing that change the cable and do it again.

Without the test lead there is no continuity across any of the wires. Yes, I checked that the sockets are both the right way round. I was hoping to avoid re-running the wires because access is difficult - much squirming is involved.

Getting Orange and brown mixed up,is quite common as some of the 💩 cable has very poor colouring
If your running Ethernet then only the orange and green pair are used, different issue if POE
Agreed. This is good, if quite old, cable and the colours are bright. This is just ethernet and yes, in a pinch I could re-use the blue and brown pairs if there is a fault on the orange-green ones. I am trying to avoid having to re-run the cable because of the lack of access to the cable run. I would have expected the cable tester to show me some lights for working pairs, but nothing.

I would have expected the cable tester to show me some lights for working pairs, but nothing.
If you are meaning one of the cable testers that you put a part of it at each end of the cable and it sequences from 1-8 they don't work if the cable is, severed, all wrong way round, too many short circuits. (I wanted to know what would happen if.........so I did.)

Am I reading this wrong, you said you made a plug that shorted everything out at one end, so you will get 0 ohms between pairs on your meter.

Am I reading this wrong, you said you made a plug that shorted everything out at one end, so you will get 0 ohms between pairs on your meter.
Slightly wrong. The test plug shorted each pair, but they were isolated from each other. So at the test end, I get 0 ohms between, say orange & white/orange, and open circuit on everything else.

If its only 10m away..
Just use a long-lead to test every single core individually to confirm the cable is not damaged..

Then also prove your "test leads" are correct...

Really this is just a bit of very basic simple continuity testing....
can't really see what the complication is??

Either your cable is faulty.. your connections are faulty.... your socket(s) are faulty.. or your testing method is faulty...?
not really rocket science to eliminate and isolate all possible causes..

:unsure:

If you are meaning one of the cable testers that you put a part of it at each end of the cable and it sequences from 1-8 they don't work if the cable is, severed, all wrong way round, too many short circuits. (I wanted to know what would happen if.........so I did.)
Sorted now. Turned out I had the plugs wired the wrong way round (white/orange on pin 8 not pin 1). I just got confused staring at it repeatedly and convincing myself it was the right way around. It would have have been nice if the tester had shown 1-8 on one side and 8-1 on the other rather than nothing at all.

If you think a thing is foolproof, you just haven't imagined a big enough fool.

Thanks to everyone who responded. It really helped to get me re-focused.