ceiling downlights are flickering

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pgmbmc

Reaction score
Hi all

DIYer here, added a couple of links of the products which I purchased below to see if it helps with response.  

In the process of refitting kitchen which has included installing ceiling downlights, I have installed the cable and lights myself using the power from the original lighting cables.

Originally lighting had double switch for either end of kitchen ,  I now have a 3 gang dimmer switch, two of the dimmers use one of the two circuits which has 11 x 5W CRI>80 downlights and 2 pendant lights with 60w bulbs.  The third dimmer switch has 9 x 5W CRI>80 downlights. Obviously I'm no expert her but guessing whole lighting circuit is the same one.

I installed the 11 downlights first and there was quite a bit of flickering when first switched on, second day switch on it had reduced!!!  Other side off kitchen also flickering but not as much as when the first side installed, pendants no problems, all lights are dimming ok.  Flickering isn't rapid, but just when you've forgotten about it, it flickers!!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01HJC19BK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.toolstation.com/antique-brass-dimmer-switch/p74991

Thanks all

Paul

Its your choice ...but.... why do you  need to dim the kitchen lights I ask.?      

You need to check that your 5w lamps are suitable for dimming .

The dimmer switch needs to match the lamps .

The dimmer with only a few lamps on it may  not work with a small load .

The dimmer for the 2 60w  bulbs  needs to different to the LED dimmers  .

Just dump the dimmers & fit a 3 gang switch .       

Yuck - sealed LED downlights - the work of the devil - when they start failing you'll be kicking yourself if you can't buy exactly the same products and you start having multiple types across your kitchen ceiling

Incompatibility between the downlights and the dimmer is my guess

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all

DIYer here, added a couple of links of the products which I purchased below to see if it helps with response.  

In the process of refitting kitchen which has included installing ceiling downlights, I have installed the cable and lights myself using the power from the original lighting cables.

Originally lighting had double switch for either end of kitchen ,  I now have a 3 gang dimmer switch, two of the dimmers use one of the two circuits which has 11 x 5W CRI>80 downlights and 2 pendant lights with 60w bulbs.  The third dimmer switch has 9 x 5W CRI>80 downlights. Obviously I'm no expert her but guessing whole lighting circuit is the same one.

I installed the 11 downlights first and there was quite a bit of flickering when first switched on, second day switch on it had reduced!!!  Other side off kitchen also flickering but not as much as when the first side installed, pendants no problems, all lights are dimming ok.  Flickering isn't rapid, but just when you've forgotten about it, it flickers!!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01HJC19BK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.toolstation.com/antique-brass-dimmer-switch/p74991

Thanks all

Paul

hi again,
Thanks for responses, done a bit digging guess what dimmer switch not compatible as some off you said.  Screwfix website quite informative on specifications and realised 250 W total load doesn't mean 250 W on  the total LED load in most cases its 50 W,

One listing is advertised as a 400 W dimmer switch but small print specifications states maximum loads as:- 

Max. Dimmable Load (Fluorescent)100 W

Max. Dimmable Load (Halogen)400 W

Max. Dimmable Load (Incandescent)400 W

Max. Dimmable Load LED)50 W

for people like myself please check specs if given, l found a double dimmer at screwfix with a 150 W LED total load.  Confirmed and purchased and now installed and working, zero flickering.

Thanks for responses, done a bit digging guess what dimmer switch not compatible as some off you said.  Screwfix website quite informative on specifications and realised 250 W total load doesn't mean 250 W on  the total LED load in most cases its 50 W,

One listing is advertised as a 400 W dimmer switch but small print specifications states maximum loads as:- 

Max. Dimmable Load (Fluorescent)100 W

Max. Dimmable Load (Halogen)400 W

Max. Dimmable Load (Incandescent)400 W

Max. Dimmable Load LED)50 W

for people like myself please check specs if given, l found a double dimmer at screwfix with a 150 W LED total load.  Confirmed and purchased and now installed and working, zero flickering.

With LED's it is typically not the maximum load that causes the problems..

It is the MINIMUM load...

Traditional dimmers are typically 60w min..

( and a traditional dimmer trying to operate a 25watt lamp can have flicker problems due to too Low a power. )

Whereas LED dimmers may be 10w, 5w or lower minimum load..

Guinness

Just thought I would update this thread with the latest thinking, flickering downlight's on a multi switched circuit are normally caused by ghost voltage from the permanent live going from switch to switch charging the LED, this problem can be helped with a snubber capacitor across the feed to the lamp, the number of snubbers may have to be increased to eliminate the flickering completely.
I normally find dimmers are a waste of time, after the initial installation and play time is over, the dimmer stays on one setting for the rest of its life.

DSC02057.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.