Ceiling light help.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy58

Reaction score
Hi great forum, thanks for the ad.

I want to fit a new ceiling light, coming out the roof it has 2 black wires ,joined, 2 red wires joined,  and a single black. The connector block on the new light fitting has brown and blue.

Any help greatly appreciated thanks.

At a guess...

The two joined blacks would connect to the Blue.  (Neutral)

The single black would connect to the Brown.  (Switched live)

And the two reds joined need to be put in a separate connector on their own with no other wires connected..  (Permanent live)

BUT...  I would never connect & re-energise without first double checking the above polarity assumptions with an approved voltage tester.

AND.. I would be concerned that you don't have some earth wires to be terminated as well? 

Do you have any test equipment ?  

Guinness  

Last edited by a moderator:
At a guess...

The two joined blacks would connect to the Blue.  (Neutral)

The single black would connect to the Brown.  (Switched live)

And the two reds joined need to be put in a separate connector on their own with no other wires connected..  (Permanent live)

BUT...  I would never connect & re-energise without first double checking the above polarity assumptions with an approved voltage tester.

AND.. I would be concerned that you don't have some earth wires to be terminated as well? 

Do you have any test equipment ?  

Guinness  
Hi good morning thanks for your help much appreciated, it has the earth in the connector box and the roof yes, no test equipment no,I did try to put a pic up here but couldn't work out how to,thanks again  though.