Ceiling Rose - Two Wires?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AB_SE2

Reaction score
Afternoon all!

I've an outbuilding, done up well by previous owner, double glazed, electrics etc. Separate fuse box to the house also.

Anyway, he put in strip lights, i want to replace with a ceiling rose and a normal light for cosmetic reasons. I've no problems installing a ceiling rose, but, there are two wires coming out of the ceiling (rather than the one I'm used to)....how do I deal with this?

Apologies, may be simple, but I'm cautious with electrics as if things go wrong it can be bad!

Thanks for anything you have.

Don't really understand your question. 

On a good day there would be at least three wires, live, (brown or red), neutral, (blue or black), and earth, (hopefully with a green and yellow sleeve, but maybe bare copper.

So, how does yours compare to this description?  

Can you see the cables surface mounted to walls or are they concealed behind plasterboard? 

how many switches operate these lights? 
how many cables are at the switches? 
do you have two cables at one light and a single cable at second light? 

but, there are two wires coming out of the ceiling (rather than the one I'm used to)....how do I deal with this?

Don't really understand your question. 

On a good day there would be at least three wires, live, (brown or red), neutral, (blue or black), and earth, (hopefully with a green and yellow sleeve, but maybe bare copper.

So, how does yours compare to this description?  

I'm guessing two cables. 

I would agree with Fleeting's guess, that the OP is referring to the cable's as wires..

and is making no mention of the number of conductors at all..

i.e. he is only used to seeing 1x switched live cable with 3x conductors, LNE, coming via a switch.

as compared to seeing 2x cables (1x perm live + 1x switch drop)

or seeing 3x cables (1x perm live in,+ 1x switch drop + 1x perm live loop out to next accessory in circuit).

If it was just One wire as in conductor..  not much would have been working anyway!!

Guinness  

Latest posts