Certifying A Temp Suppy To Portacabins

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Revved Up Sparky

Reaction score
Happy New Year to all !

I need to produce a safety certificate for a new temporary suppy that feeds six portacabins on a building site.

There is a large diesel generator in it's own cabin which feeds a distribution board next to it, earth rod in ground nearby and Ra excellent. The DB has 32A sockets on the sides and each socket is protected by a C32 MCB protected upstream by a 100ma 61008 RCD.. Each of the six submain circuits connects to each portacabin via a 6mm SWA with a 32A commando plug on either end - one end plugs into the socket on the DB in the generator house and the other end plugs into the socket on the side of each portacabin.

My initial thought was to produce an EIC but the 32A plugs in circuit made me hesitate. Should I just treat each plugged SWA as a portable appliance/ lead and dead test/ PAT test it, then record my Zdb's in each portacabin with power on etc ? Or I go ahead and produce an EIC ? I checked the Zdb's and there was a lot of variation considering the portacabins are all close together, it seems the 32A plugs/ sockets connections vary in quality and thus give the different readings.

Any comments/ advice regarding certification gratefully received.

Last edited by a moderator:
We do a lot of these and we always issue an EIC. You need to make sure within the detail of installation details that it is very detailed (this should be the case anyway).

I did one 2 weeks ago and issued a EIC like i always do for these. As said above,  make it very detailed. The last one had a huge commando 3 phase plug & socket from the genny to the DB , bigger than 63A i seem to remember and i never really thought of it as portable.

If these are for the construction site offices etc then as long as they are not moved then they do not require re-testing every 3 months. The 3 month re-test period is only for the parts of the installation that is actually going out to the construction site such as site lighting and transformer supplies. The site offices do not fall under the 3 month time frame as these should be installed as if they are permanent anyway due to the nature of their use.