Changing light switch and all the wires came out

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashrogan

Reaction score
Hello 

I was round at my mother and father in laws swapping a switch over - when the unthinkable happened - when I pulled the face plate of the three gang switch (left of hand drawn pic) all of the wires including links popped out. I also changed the four gang switch and have a pic of the switch before I swapped it over.

i have managed to get the following working 

3 gang switch.

1. working correctly (1 way)

2. working correctly (1 way)

3. I think working correctly (2 way with 4 gang switch.)

4 gang switch 

1. Not working correctly as the two way only works when it is switched on from the 3 gang dining room switch 

2. Was a blank

3. Not working correctly as it only works when the dining room switch is in the on position 

4. Not working correctly as it only works when the dining room switch is in the on position.

the outdoor light which is on a single gang switch won’t work either unless the dining room switch on the three gang switch is in the on position.

Can anyone help - I think I’m so close to getting it right.

If it was me I would  sit down with a sheet of paper and draw out the schematic. It sounds like you have the common live link on the wrong end of the dining room switch.

You can either battle on for hours, taking photos, doing drawings, and asking questions.

Or of you can find a local electrician that can do it on the way to another job he will have it sorted in an hour and it won't cost you much.

I was round at my mother and father in laws swapping a switch over - when the unthinkable happened - when I pulled the face plate of the three gang switch (left of hand drawn pic) all of the wires including links popped out.

I would be very concerned about the quality of the terminations at all of the other switches and sockets in the property, if every single connection in a three gang switch switch were all loose when you pulled the faceplate forward. Unless you were heavy handed with your pulling, or it was a poor quality DIY installation in the first place, it would be uncommon for every connection to be loose on the back of an accessory. A basic continuity and voltage tester would solve your problems relatively quickly. 

Doc H.

Last edited by a moderator: