Changing Light Switch Unsure On Wiring

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morgiee

Reaction score
Hi there im in the middle of changing some light switches after redecorating my house.  I got to this plug that has a different setup to the new switch.  Their both double switches to control upstairs and downstairs.

Hopefully you can see my photos but marked on the plastic on the top says:

Com     1 way       2 way

And the bottom of the switch:

1 way    2 way     Com

The current wiring on the white switch is working the switches fine so how do i wire this up to the new switch? which wires do i use?

Many Thanks  

The wires that are in 'com's' in the plastic switch go to the 'L's' in the new switch and the black in the 'B 1w' goes to the 'L1' of one switch, the red and the black in the other side of the plastic switch 'B 1w & B 2w' go to the 'L1 & L2' on the other side of the new switch.

As the new switch is metallic you will also need a piece of earth wire going from the earth terminal to the earth port in the back box, failure to do this leaves the new switch in a dangerous condition giving rise to a potentially lethal shock tony person operating the switch should fault condition occur. So do not replace until you have the additional earth in place.

Of course it goes without saying that the circuit should be isolated at the fuse box prior to changing the switch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your two 'Coms'  bottom right & top left need to go into your two 'L's on the top picture, these are joined together.

The black in the '1way' on the top right of your bottom picture needs to go into the 'L1' right hand side of the top picture

The red 7 black in the '1way' & '2way on the bottom left of the bottom picture need to go into the 'L1' & 'L2' on the left hand side of the top picture.

Well done for taking a photograph before undoing the wires.

Doc H.

Sharpend not only beat me to reply. But also pointed out the very important issue of the earth connection that I omitted. does your wiring include an earth conductor. If not do not fit this metal switch.

Doc H.