changing my consumer unit for elecsa audit

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave4718

Reaction score
Hi, I have recently done my 2382 and am due to register with ELECSA for my part p. They say i need to complete two jobs one of which must be a consumer unit change. Mine is quite old so i have decided to do that. The problem i have is i have not done one during training. I dont have a problem doing it just have a few questions on the safe isolation.

a) How do i replace the tails when the fuse is sealed

B) I have a megger MFT1730 which tests do i need to carry out.

c) any advice on this would be greatly appriciated

ring your DNO and arrange for an isolator to be fitted to the tails, where abouts are you, here in the NW its usually "Quartz" that do the isolators.

testing procedures can be found in GN3

Thanks for that, i am in melton mowbray. Pardon my ignorance but whats a DNO

Touchy

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 16:06 ---------- Previous post was made at 16:01 ----------

Anyway for the helpfull people out there, one call to British Gas (what do they know about electricity) and at a cost of

Read section 28 on the ESQCR for information to be given

to installers by the DNO; you will need it for your EIC after

installation of said board.

Anyway for the helpfull people out there, one call to British Gas (what do they know about electricity) and at a cost of

Hi, I have recently done my 2382 and am due to register with ELECSA for my part p. They say i need to complete two jobs one of which must be a consumer unit change. Mine is quite old so i have decided to do that. The problem i have is i have not done one during training. I dont have a problem doing it just have a few questions on the safe isolation.a) How do i replace the tails when the fuse is sealed

B) I have a megger MFT1730 which tests do i need to carry out.

c) any advice on this would be greatly appriciated
Having done the 2382 I guess you have the regs book? It will be money well spent if you purchase the "OSG" On Site Guide which describes the testing procedures. You need both anyway for joining Elecsa I think. Also Brian Scadden's books are good IMO.

Touchy---------- Post Auto-Merged at 16:06 ---------- Previous post was made at 16:01 ----------

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you scam registered mate?
No, not yet, I'm talking to ELECSA (their Mark Cooper, very helpful) at the moment. Once I get the REC fitted I'll look to change my board as the first main job. Are you thinking that maybe EDF will kick off about me wanting to fit the REC and get them to connect to it?

As I finished typing the above EDF have just answered me! Apparently the "Appointments Team" have all gone home so they're going to ring me in the morning!

Trying to do things right shouldn't be this hard! Lets be honest most people would have chopped the fuse seal, fitted the REC, got on with the CU change and denied all knowledge! If its more than

Some DNOs actually let sparks cut seals.

I have a thread on it somewhere on here, and a list of who allows it.

Some DNOs actually let sparks cut seals.I have a thread on it somewhere on here, and a list of who allows it.
Any chance of pointing me to it please? Gut feeling it won't be EDF/UK Power Networks! :)

No, not yet, I'm talking to ELECSA (their Mark Cooper, very helpful) at the moment. Once I get the REC fitted I'll look to change my board as the first main job. Are you thinking that maybe EDF will kick off about me wanting to fit the REC and get them to connect to it?As I finished typing the above EDF have just answered me! Apparently the "Appointments Team" have all gone home so they're going to ring me in the morning!

Trying to do things right shouldn't be this hard! Lets be honest most people would have chopped the fuse seal, fitted the REC, got on with the CU change and denied all knowledge! If its more than

The problem i have is i have not done one during training.
er... if you havent covered something like how to change a CU (and basic testing) in your training, then i suggest you do some proper training. there is a reason why an apprenticeship is 4 years. having 2382 doesnt go far proving your competance.

Are you crazy Dave ? To suggest such a simple solution , We've only had this problem since electrictrickery was first laid into domestic premises , it needs to be discussed for a few more years yet .

Mon Dieu ! Man , you 'll be asking for an earth connection next!!!!
default_tongue%20in%20cheek.png