Checks before replacing ceramic hob with induction hob

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rlasry1

Reaction score
Hi there!

I wanted to check it was ok to replace my current ceramic hob by a 7.4kW induction hob and in particular to plug the induction hob on the same cable that is currently powering my ceramic hob (“old” red/black/yellow&green cooker cable, installed in 2006, on dedicated 32A MCB, pictured below).

Also, the new induction hob comes with a new cable with 5 wires, as per the diagram below.
Given I plan on using my existing cable (with only 3 wires), am I right in thinking I can discard the new cable, connect my live wire to connector 2 and bridge connectors 2 and 3? The diagram doesn’t show bridging but I am assuming I should, as I won’t have the BN and BK wires.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_8360.jpeg
    IMG_8360.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0241.jpeg
    IMG_0241.jpeg
    329.8 KB · Views: 1
Yes. 2 and 3 need to be bridged together.
The anomaly to me is that the cable picture shows no connection to terminal 1 whilst the terminal diagram shows it bridged to 2/3. Maybe its actually unused and doesn't matter.
Perhaps it's too early in the day. Sorry if I'm missing the point.

Yes. 2 and 3 need to be bridged together.
The anomaly to me is that the cable picture shows no connection to terminal 1 whilst the terminal diagram shows it bridged to 2/3. Maybe its actually unused and doesn't matter.
Perhaps it's too early in the day. Sorry if I'm missing the point.
Thanks for your early reply :)

Note the first photo is my old/current hob (with indeed 1, 2 and 3 bridged together)…
… while the second picture/diagram is the diagram for the new hob (that I am yet to receive), for which you and I understand that 2 and 3 need to be be bridged, with no connection to 1.

Assuming they fit, is it ok to reuse the bridges from my old hob for the new one?

Thanks again