China crucibles

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
China crucibles, or as we called them dogcocks. Even 50 years ago, these should have been enclosed. Not like how i found them here.

Picture009.jpg

we stripped out an old building was loads of these told they were called screw its also found china porcilan chock block conectors

we used to call them hatscos you always got one that wouldnt go on and so everyone heard the cry 'tw@t' - 'sorry love he's shouting for a new hat'
:^O :^O:^O - I love it.

Oh nostalgia!

I remember most of Wally's items in use.

My school used No. 32, the screwed cap light switch. When the teacher wasn't around, we used to unscrew the switch and draw an arc across the terminals. We'd use the carbon rods inside batteries with a couple of rubber bungs nicked from the chemistry lab. The lamps were effectivly the ballast for the arc, which we could open to nearly an inch.

This was but one of the tricks we got up to in those far-off days before Elf N Safety, which spoiled everything. Anyway, it was good training for boys who wanted to join the electrical industry in the 1950's. :D

Never heard them called by that name. They were called SCRUITS (trade name) We used them all the time. I reckon they are better than connectors myself. They should always be in an enclosure of course. Probably only suitable for lighting junction boxes, and never saw them used on anything larger. They came in two sizes, midget and jumbo.

They've gone the way of the late lamented Elmo earthing clamps! Who remembers them?

Never heard them called by that name. They were called SCRUITS (trade name) We used them all the time. I reckon they are better than connectors myself. They should always be in an enclosure of course. Probably only suitable for lighting junction boxes, and never saw them used on anything larger. They came in two sizes, midget and jumbo.They've gone the way of the late lamented Elmo earthing clamps! Who remembers them?
I agree ! i have never known of anyone finding a loose Scruit ( or whatever you want to call it). Even though they may be 60 years old !

The main difference nowadays is solid drawn single core is mostly used unlike the 7 strand used moons ago.

Not quite right about the old imperial wiring cables, the smallest and most commonly used was 1/044 which had a single solid strand. That was the only size which had solid cores. The best size for lighting circuits was considered to be 3/029, the next size up, which had three strands. Equiv. of todays 1.5.

You are right about never seeing a failed scruit connection, unlike todays strip connectors that can fail due to corrosion.

For the lighting junction boxes on the rig here scruits are used instead of strip connectors.

I agree with southsparks, I also think they can be better than strip connectors.

Sometimes they do their job so well they can be a bit of a mare to undo.