Chrome and black

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Guys and Girls,

It's been a while since I've been here.

I've been asked to replace all the downstairs accessories in a newly built house for a friend of a family member, I don't normally do domestic, but said yes.

She asked for Chrome with black inserts, no problem I thought.  I gave my usual wholesaler the list and asked for a price, happy days.  

Later, she decided she did want it doing but added 2g sockets with twin USB outlets. 

Wholesaler originally priced for Scolmore, but Apparently, Scholmore don't do such a thing (Single USBs only).

My Wholesaler says he cant get chrome accessories with black inserts AND matching grid switches - (engraved Tumble dryer, washing machine, Cooker hood, Fridge freezer Dish washer and a fuse holder.)

I'm sure they should be available but I'm being lazy and hoping you guys can recommend a brand.

I'm also now hearing she's very fussy and prone to changing her mind a lot, why oh why did I say yes.

The list...

All plates polished chrome with black modules.

Grid modules:

2g width plate with 3 modules with following text on switches:

1 x “Washing machine”

1 x “Tumble dryer”

1 x Blank module

Double height 3 module x 2 rows with following text on switches:

1 x“Cooker hood”

1 x “Fridge freezer “

1 x “Dish washer”

1 x Fuse holder

2 x blank modules

All plates polished chrome with black modules:

7 x double switched sockets

3 x double switched sockets with twin usb outlets

4 x 1g2w light switch

3 x switched fuse spur

4 x 2g2w light switch

1 x Ariel outlet

1 x 1g brushed outlet

1 x 32A cooker switch (1g size)

Thank 

Best option....let her get them....not your monkeys, not your circus!   This job will haunt you to the end of your years and then haunt your family

second option.....Eurolite

third option....tell them you are related to  an ex pat mining engineer in Nigeria who,has had a car accident and you need to go over there

fourth option....run away quickly

just advising

Also....are you sure the back boxes are deep,enough 

Also....are you sure the back boxes are deep,enough 
I was gonna say that !!  

Also , from experience ,  I would suddenly become extremely busy elsewhere  .     

Its usually bad news if  (a)  its a woman  and (b)  if they are well orf .    They always try to you get you running round for them .  

As Kerch said above ......

This job will haunt you to the end of your years and then haunt your family

No point wasting hours of your time sourcing some decorative accessories that the customer doesn't like. Offer a cost for supply & fit standard white accessories. Or a fit only cost for whatever they choose to supply themselves. Your post highlights the common problem with a lot of manufactures decorative range, you can get 90%+ of the items you want, but then for some obscure reason they don't do their full possible range in every decorative option, or they cost stupid amounts or there is a 10 week supply delay on certain switches. If you have a quick calculate of how many options you have for just one type of switch. (e.g. Double Pole isolator switch);

Plates: Polished Chrome / Brushed Chrome / Brass / Antique / Slate / Black / other pastel shades / etc.

Inserts: Black / Brown / White / Grey / etc.

Profiles: Raised / Flush / Visible screw / Concealed screw / etc.

Styles: Rounded corners / Bevelled edges / Standard plates / Grid-Modular plates / Engraved / non-engraved / Neon indicator / No-Neon etc.

You are looking at hundreds of combinations for just one switch. Unless of course they are going to pay you buckets loads, it could be a very expensive exercise in your time alone. Go back to them and explain that your wholesaler has pointed out numerous complications in obtaining the sort of items they are looking for, so best have a re-evaluate.

Doc H.

I think I would choose between running away or delegating the sourcing back to the customer. 

However, as a practical suggestion if the engraved legends are a problem these could be done locally onto standard accessories.

When you go home tonight slam the front door onto your fingernails. The ensuing pain will get worse before it gets better and the nails fall off. Then do it again tomorrow onto the already tender fingers. Repeat this process for a week,or so. 

Now think what it would would be like if you hadn't trapped them in the first place!

sourcing decorative accessories for a client is just the same

another point.      Are any any accessories on a dual/spacer bar box?........some decorative plates wil not fit side by side as they are a tiny bit wider

Just a word of warning...

Assuming you CAN get hold of all of the bits your customer has asked for...

Remember.... UNTIL the money is in the bank and customer is happy..

The job is NOT complete.

Many...  Many...… Many...  Years ago, in a Galaxy not very far away from where I live...

A bloke who had his own Window business was selling his big plush detached house here in UK..

to buy 1. a nice property abroad and 2. a nice apartment flat here in Engerland for when they do occasionally pop home...

So I am doing various electrical alterations to this apartment flat..

he buys a load of decorative switches/sockets etc.. that I fit for him...

Then later on Mrs Hard to please visits the "work-so-far" and doesn't like the switches etc..

So he says can I swap them over if he gets some different ones..

I said. Yes.. But you got to pay again for the labour..

He says No problem..

SO.. less than Two weeks later I take off all of these previously NEW accessories and replace them with another decorative style..

Speaking to him later it turns out she has trouble visualising anything until it is in place!

I was just very glad that it wasn't me stumping up the cost of the failed style options!!!!!

BEWARE OF WOMEN CHOOSING DECORATIVE FITTINGS!!!!