circle 3 pin socket

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anne23

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have moved into a flat that has regular hole 3 pin sockets and also a number of round hole 3 pin sockets. two of these round hole sockets are positioned at a high level in the alcoves by the chimney. I'm not sure what they are for but presumably, they has wiring behind them?  I'd like to have the sockets removed and regular wall lights wired, is this possible?

thanks in advance.

I’m guessing the 3 pin round plugs are closer together so this would suggest they are on the lighting circuit, - but they may not be switched - so you would need wall lights with integrated switches

hope this makes sense

hi Murdoch and Special Location. 

thank you for your replies. yes, they are as the picture (5amp sockets) as you say. They have a  switch on them like this https://www.screwfix.com/p/schneider-electric-lisse-5a-1-gang-sp-switched-round-pin-plug-socket-white/8806J?tc=BT1&ds_kid=92700055281954484&ds_rl=1249401&gclid=Cj0KCQiA88X_BRDUARIsACVMYD_dp6XrH786wCnw-9OcfzZFDIa_s5zbmsIuNy3OtThSZWtPBnLQ_XsaAriBEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

ideally, i would like to have these lights installed

https://www.made.com/ogilvy-swing-arm-wall-lamp-green-antique-brass

could these be wired to the directly to the socket by an electrician? or would the wiring have to change to 13A?  

sorry if I'm not making sense. I literally do not have a clue !

Two things:

If the sockets are not presently switched from one of the light switches you would need a bit or wiring alteration which may be anything from simple to a lot of work, depending on how they are wired.  An electrician would be able to test that and give you a better idea.

The "base" for you chosen light is almost certainly smaller than the square socket that is there at the moment.  Your electrician would need to sink a round metal conduit box into the wall for the lamp, and there would be making good of the plaster and decoration afterwards needed.

hi. I think they would switch is the light switch by the door. Good point about the base i hadnt thought of that. Important thing is that it could work i guess without a rewire.