Circuit testers

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YogiM

Reaction score
Hi all

Has anybody used IDEAL SURETEST Circuit Tracer equipment. IT costs around 300 - 350 pounds when i saw it at exhibition at Sandown Park, in December.

Has anybody had success fault finding with this equipment?

Would it find open circuits when doing ring main continuity, because i had to open a number of sockets to find disconnected neutral then a earth at the weekend.

I guess this can be used for PIRs.

I saw a article in the Professional Electrican monthly magazine on this and was rated highly by one company.

thanks

I have looked - But failed so far,sorry Mate.

I will keep trying. :)

have used loadsa gear similar to that buddy, but a helluva lot cheaper.

basically it measures the length of the circuit, either open or close, so will tell you how far away the fault is.

absolutely rubbish at helping you locate a fault if its wired all higgle de piggle de,

as is usual with older houses, or the ones the fault is always in.

they are derived from telecoms and underground fault finders where the cable is pretty obvious in its run.

ps, never actually used the one you asked about so if im totally wrong in summising how it works Im really sorry.

Hi allHas anybody used IDEAL SURETEST Circuit Tracer equipment. IT costs around 300 - 350 pounds when i saw it at exhibition at Sandown Park, in December.

Has anybody had success fault finding with this equipment?

Would it find open circuits when doing ring main continuity, because i had to open a number of sockets to find disconnected neutral then a earth at the weekend.

I guess this can be used for PIRs.

I saw a article in the Professional Electrican monthly magazine on this and was rated highly by one company.

thanks
ps, quick way to find 1 broken conductor in a ring is simply to lift that leg out of the MCB/N bar/E bar and power up, then check each socket with your ELI plug.

Hi Steptoe,

is this what you mean for finding break in ring conductor:

If phase conductor was broken then

1. Disconnect 1 of the phase/line conductors out of circuit breaker

2. Test all sockets and note which ones have no reading and what the socket/sockets with highest Zs values.... Ermm just thinking about misleading values from spurs

3. Disconnect this leg and then do the same again with the other leg connected.

4. Hopefully should then give good idea of where the break is.

However can you elaborate on this please:)

disconnecting one end of the ring and making safe at the mains will make it one big radial circuit, power up the remaining end then check for voltage at the sockets,knowing which sockets are live and which are dead should give you a fair idea where the break is! : O)

These are testers, that retail for a large amount of money, that understanding of T&I would show up the fault anyway.