cloth covered tails +3m long

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevelime

Reaction score
Hi, came across this today:

Converted house into 3 flats probably 40 + years ago.

TNS service head in the hall connected to 3 x 1361 service fuses using service connectors.

Cabling is cloth covered VIR, looks like 16mm at the most (not too happy about handling it!)

Cabling goes into an earthed steel conduit acting as a functional earth using 951s at both ends

Both cables are stretched with pressure on the lip of the conduit.

Cables in conduit runs upstairs + 5 metres into 2 meters then into a BS3036 wylex fusebox  and an all RCBO CU

I'm surprised that the meters were installed so far from the origin?

So

Primarily for safety reasons I want to recommend switchfuses for all 3 supplies installed in the hall (easier to isolate all 3 flats from the hall)

I understand that UKPN has a 3m rule which includes the cable from the company head to the service fuse and the distance between the service fuse and the CU isolator. 

So another reason to install switch fuses but what about the metres?

I'd like to install 2 x 25mm SWAs terminated into service connectors inside adaptable metal boxes with double insulated 25mm tails for the meter end and the service head connector via 18th compliant glands.

Assuming I'd have to have the meter supplier to break and redo the seals on the meter.

or

Do i have to get the DNO or meter supplier to move the meters?

Any thoughts?

Thank you

The cable from the head to the meter is the DNO's responsibility.  Phone them and report it as being DANGEROUS. Don't mince your words, it is a real danger in it's present state.  They will come and do what they determine is best to make it safe.

Your (the customers) responsibilty takes over after the meter.

If you want the meters moved, discuss that with them when discussing what they will do to make it safe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Pro, I'd prefer to keep the meters where they are and install switchfuses in between the supply fuse and the meter but as you say, their responsibility.

and they will probbaly run cabling to meters in conduit up the hallway stairs - at least that's what they did last time I found a similar situation

As Dave says  ,  it's their responsibility not yours  .  

Also , under their  (DNO)  regs   they  are supposed to install a separate  incomer to each flat  meaning ..I believe .. separate cable out to the street .  

An interesting point  I picked up  when last working with the DNO  ..I was told they won't work at  the height of the metering  at the flats I was on ...8ft    :C .

And the guys  re-routing a supply for us last year mentioned they were not insured to carry out any work within the building .  :C

So they can only work outside and below 8 feet Deke? ...

so does running single insulated tails in conduit get ‘round their 3m rule.?

im going to try and persuade them to move the meters into the hall next to the incomer

good point about separate incomers. They bodged it with 2 single pole 3way service connectors..

Havent mentioned the madness of my clients electrics. Fenela Fielding lived there until she died. Famous for her smoking skit in carry on screaming, lucky she didn’t go up in a puff of smoke for real!

So they can only work outside and below 8 feet Deke? ...
To do with their 'elf 'n' Safety policy I presume . 

so does running single insulated tails in conduit get ‘round their 3m rule.?
well if they're VIR  they were probably installed in the 1950s ....and our trade wasn't so picky then .

im going to try and persuade them to move the meters into the hall next to the incomer
I'm fairly sure that should be done by a metering company ,  organised by the  customer's power provider .         I think the DNO here  , Western Power,  have an understanding with the meter people regarding  simply re- locating  a meter  but don't involve themselves with anything too involved. 

Havent mentioned the madness of my clients electrics. Fenela Fielding lived there until she died.
Oh  A right Carry On is it  !!! :D