code 1?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicky Tesla

Reaction score
In the past, the NICEIC have advised that a code 1 be placed, when there is no rcd protection for sockets that could be used for equipment outside etc, but now we are on the 17th, an RCD is generally required for every cct in a domestic installation. So, if the code is to be a code 1 as has been advised in the past, then nearly every installation seen on a PIR and install will also be considered dangerous and require immediate attention, or have the supply fuse withdrawn under a code 1 situation.

This would be a ridiculous situation and if the NICEIC say this would not now constitute a code 1, then i think they can only say this if they admit they have got their advise wrong before.

The NIC often appear to have their own rules.

The Don's view is simple, regs are not retrospective.

No RCD protection is either a code 2 or a 4, depending on it's location.

Code 1's are for dangerous faults, I'd hardly call a socket on a ring or radial circuit with main bonding in place etc. Life threatening.

The Godfather

There is a good doc on the niceic web site on pir codings, can't post a link as i'm doing this on my phone. It puts a code 4 on this.
Link already in place.

Don

Latest posts