Codebreakers book

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dairyspark

Reaction score
Evening all, having a look through the lovely Amazon today and Napit’s codebreakers was a suggested purchase for me. Now my question is, is it worth it or is it not?

Complete and utter waste of money like the Best Practice Guide. If you need a guide to do EICRs then you shouldn't be doing them.

he's a young fella learning the trade, we all needed help at that stage.
Fair enough but it is still a waste of money he would be better off learning his trade and gain experience which is what you needs for EICRs, years of it.

NAPIT code breakers issue 1 should have been withdrawn and refunds given to people that bought it.

It’s written by people in Ivory towers who simply don’t have a f clue

That’ll be a no to buying it then 😂😂

Fair enough but it is still a waste of money he would be better off learning his trade and gain experience which is what you needs for EICRs, years of it.
I agree, you need years of experience to do EICR’s. Especially to deal with older installations, but how do you gain experience without a guide?

It's OK as a guide but experience overrules it. Eicrs are down to the person carrying them out. You make the choice on what to code a fault as your the one on site and looking at the full picture.

What may be a C2 in one circumstance maybe a C1 in another.

So is it worth the money ? If your new to doing Eicrs then it's a useful reference if your unsure of what to code something, but don't take it as a definitive 100% bible just because it says it doesn't mean it applies in your circumstance.

If I'm not mistaken I even think it says something like that at the beginning of it.

NAPIT code breakers issue 1 should have been withdrawn and refunds given to people that bought it.

It’s written by people in Ivory towers who simply don’t have a f clue
Really?
So contractors, and college lecturers rank among those in ivory towers for you then?
I wish I had an ivory tower.
As I know many of the names inside that book personally, I can assure you that many of us were contracting, clients or very close to the “coal face” when that book was written.
It is not nor was it even intended to be a definitive source for every code. The introduction states such.

The background for the book is that a contractor was fed up with arguments over codes with their clients. Said contractor eventually got a position of influence and persuaded NAPIT to create a book giving more specific examples of codes, agreed upon by a variety of different groups within the industry.
So there are no mistakes in codes, there are merely different interpretations.

The background for the book is that a contractor was fed up with arguments over codes with their clients. Said contractor eventually got a position of influence and persuaded NAPIT to create a book giving more specific examples of codes, agreed upon by a variety of different groups within the industry.
So there are no mistakes in codes, there are merely different interpretations.

You know we will never agree on this book so let’s agree to disagree.

What I do know is that issue 1 has been used by numerous contractors to rip off unsuspecting customers who quote it as the gospel truth.

And if “A” contractor persuaded NAPIT to procure this book simply confirms they are not fit for purpose.

I think the responses give a good indication of the problem with getting the Codebreakers book. Not everyone agrees. I'd say its worth getting, if you can get a discount, when you're learning the ropes. It's a good learning tool but can't be used as your only source. Read its notes and see how they arrive at the code and learn how to do it in conjunction with others and the regulations. There is a lot of interpretation goes on

I think the responses give a good indication of the problem with getting the Codebreakers book. Not everyone agrees. I'd say its worth getting, if you can get a discount, when you're learning the ropes. It's a good learning tool but can't be used as your only source. Read its notes and see how they arrive at the code and learn how to do it in conjunction with others and the regulations. There is a lot of interpretation goes on

The problem is that people use it to justify their codes which isn’t right

The Best Practice Guide No 4 , issue 5 is a far better reference AND is free installers AND customers alike - plus bear in mind NAPIT contributed to it too

All of these non statutory guides are produced with many consultations by all types of users, it can be a nightmare to coordinate the final version to everyones satisfaction.

I never saw version one so can't comment on that. v2 and v3 are brilliant resources and a bargain for the amount of information in them.

I have used it to show landlords and letting agents why reports have been unsatisfactory. Having an official printed text does help to reinforce my opinion to non technical people (customers) various C2s, FIs etc.

The number of times I've had the discussion 'but it works', 'but it's always been like that', 'you mean all them spotlights in the country are dangerous?' was getting annoying until I showed a book. I also used the ESC Best Practice guide before codebreakers.

Also, the book has text that is good to copy and paste to save typing!

As others have said above, EICRs are a combination of experience, knowledge and judgement but any tool that helps is a good thing in my opinion.

The number of times I've had the discussion 'but it works', 'but it's always been like that', 'you mean all them spotlights in the country are dangerous?' was getting annoying until I showed a book.

Hum. Remind me what code breakers says about downlighting?

Also I think this book is more about Willy waving.

NICEIC guys are told to use the BP guide

All of these non statutory guides are produced with many consultations by all types of users, it can be a nightmare to coordinate the final version to everyones satisfaction.

In a previous life I sat on the NVQ review committee at the CIC, every one was represented except the actual workforce, those at the coal face doing the work.

Latest posts