Coil Maths help

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IronaSona

Reaction score
Hello , i got a give a questions 

Q

When a direct current of 2A is passed through a coil, the potential difference across the coil is 20V. When an alternating current of 2A at a frequency of 40Hz is passed through the coil, the potential difference across the coil is 140V.

a) Find the current in the coil if it is connected to a supply of 230V, 50Hz.

b) What is the phase shift of the current in the coil with respect to the supply voltage?

I been looking all over the google/youtube how to do that but every single time i get given different formulas/equations/answers , and am not quiet sure what in need to do.

While we won't do your homework for you, to get you heading off in the right direction, see if you can answer the following:

i) What is the DC resistance of the coil?

ii) What is the impedance at 40hz?

iii) What is the reactive component of that impedance in (ii)?

While we won't do your homework for you, to get you heading off in the right direction, see if you can answer the following:

i) What is the DC resistance of the coil?

ii) What is the impedance at 40hz?

iii) What is the reactive component of that impedance in (ii)?
am kinda new to all of this , and am kinda terrible at maths , just letting you know .To find impedance do i need to do 2*pie*hz*L , and how would i find the L ? 

Look at what you have, you might be going the other way initially.....