college

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tricky

Reaction score
have an interview at my local college tomorrow with a view to enroling on the part time electrical course.

I have worked as an electricans mate for the last two years doing mainly domestic electrical work. Re-wires, new socket on the cellar head, that kind of thing.

The reason I am posting on this forum (Hope I've done it in the right area ) is because the letter they sent through along with my appointment stated that I needed to take a scientific calculator with me that has the cos sin and tan functions on it because I'm going to have to pass a maths test.

Why would I need to be working out the length of 1 side of a triangle or the degrees of an angle to become an electrician?

or am I barking up the wrong tree, Will I more likely be tested on something else involving these functions?

I'm sure there will be a reason for it, I just can't think what it is......

Tricky...

Hi Tricky - Welcome to the forum. This thread has now been to moved to the Student & Learning zone.

I too, am in college. Part Time as an adult learner. Colleges only tend to do tests (inc Maths) if an applicant is under a certain age. (How old are you?).

Yes, I can confirm that a scientific calculator is needed for you COURSE, not just your interview.

There is a cracking Scientific calculator in Tesco for

It's all about triangles when you are working out three-phase calculations!

Try searching the web for 'Phasor diagrams' and you'll see what I mean!

Other than that as long as you have got basic maths skills you'll be fine. Although it does get a bit tricky towards the end of the course.

Remember 'BODMAS' and you'll be good.

Brackets

Operations

Division

Multiplication

Addition

Subtraction

It's the order in which you work out long mathematical formula. :)

Thanks Guys,

I'm 31 but I know that there are few places and many applicants for the course.

Maybe that is the reason for the testing

Sorry about the misplaced post, will try to post in the right places next time.

Like I said in my previous post, i've been working in the game for about 2 years. I've concentrated on my craft and now it's time to get involved in the technical side of things.

Just hope I get a place!!!

Thanks again.

tricky

I hope you do too Tricky. :)

Just remember to tell the college that half the 16 years olds will of quit within 8 weeks but you as a MATURE student will still be hanging in there! :^O

sohcahtoa remember that!
Sine = Opposite / Hypotenuse

Cosine = Adjacent / Hypotenuse

Tangent = Opposite / Adjacent

Do I get a gold star? :p

The power of indocies is a wonderful thing. :)

BIDMAS

I hated & failed maths at school, but found I could do it & liked it as a mature student when at college.

Scientific calc is a must

I hated & failed maths at school, but found I could do it & liked it as a mature student when at college.
I think it's all about being able to relate a subject to something you are doing each day.

I was forced to go out and buy a scientific calculator whilst sitting the 2391 course. I still today can't work out even how to turn it on, although its been very useful for wedging the office door open in the warm weather.
Is it one of these? ;)