Commercial heating system help needed

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Saunders

Reaction score
Hi everyone 
I'm looking for info.... 

I've bought a building which is now domestic but was a commercial building. It has an oil fired boiler (actually 2 boilers) which supplies 2 heating zones and DHW.

In spite of being idle (switched off completely and drained) for approximately 4 years the plant fired up and ran perfectly needing nothing more than new nozzles and a good clean - from a mechanical point of view. The control system is another matter however.

It has a landis & gyr Osc21 controller which has an E2 error code and a pair of reh3 compensated controllers which I know the purpose of but don't understand at all. 

Does anyone have any documentation regarding either of these devices?

I also suspect wiring faults (which are all cabled in pyro) but getting the thing programmed correctly would help before I go chasing ghost faults

I also have a couple of frozen 3-port valves in the plant room. The actual valve part is fine (I can operate them manually) but the actuator head is frozen. Can I remove this to strip it down without disturbing the plumbing? 

Thanks for any help. 

I don't know abut the controllers but you can definitely change the actuator head of a motorised valve.  With the head removed, check the actual valve mechanism turns freely, that could be seized after such a long time idle.

Is it possible the siezed valves is being detected by the controller, it's calling for heat and not seeing the valve change state, so fix those first.

Hi Dave - thanks for that. I'll tackle the valves. I hope I can free them off - replacing them doesn't seem likely as they were installed around 1980 and - like the controllers - no infornation seems to exist anymore. 

@Sharpend tried that - still waiting for a reply. Even Google turns up nothing - except a couple of second-hand units for sale on ebay (also without manuals - I asked  :)