Commissioning/testing A Commercial Fire Alarm System. What Form To Use?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mungomuffit

Reaction score
Hi, I'm really hoping someone out there can advise me, because I've been going around in circles.

My electrician has installed a commercial fire alarm system in my house (because it is a large house, so the normal domestic one doesn't comply with Planning rules). It is a twinflex / citadel Checkpoint Plus.

Building Control at my local council inform me that he must issue me with a commissioning and testing certificate and until he does they won't sign off my building work. 

Can anyone tell me the name of the form he needs to give me and a link to where I can get one that I can forward to him?

He did give me a form after I pestered him for weeks, but it is the wrong form - it just states that the system confirms to the relevant British Standard. Building Control have rejected it, so I'm back at square one.

Finally, when I tried to test it myself I could not make all of the sensors sound, so I'm worried there is something wrong. How do I force him to come back and do the requisite test? I've now been calling him for over a month and he never picks up. He was a member of napit but his registration has lapsed. 

It is all incredibly frustrating!

Thanks for reading.

If I don't post back for a week that is because I'm away without computer access - not being rude ;/

you need a cert to say it complies with BS 5839. model forms are in the BS, but he can use any that contain the relevant info. if he is installing fire alarms, then he should already have a copy of the regulations, and know exactly what paperwork is required without you having to provide it

if you test a detector and it doesnt sound, then something is seriously wrong

has he been paid?

most normal sparks farm this type of work out IMO,

the insurances required and the commissioning is a nightmare,

I would suggest, and its only my opinion, this guy has just bought an alarm and fitted it, with absolutely NO design, or risk assessement , or any other form of expertise in the area.

I would suggest, and its only my opinion, this guy has just bought an alarm and fitted it, with absolutely NO design, or risk assessement , or any other form of expertise in the area.
exactly what i was thinking. not many normal sparks who do fire alarm design & commission.

Your paperwork....should it ever arrive should haventhe following certs....

Design

Commissioning

Acceptance

Electrical,installation

Alarm installation

As fitted drawings

Zone chart...also,affixed next to control panel

All,the certs should be signed by the appropriate parties

When you say the detectors do not sound.....do you mean that if you smoke The detectors the sounders do not sound every time?

I,install,quite a few systems.....BUT I get someone else to design and commission them AND to sign that part of the certificate

Latest posts