Community Hall Report

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a EICR to do soon on a local community hall which i do small jobs for free  as my family have been involved for years, but  i want things to be correct  (this report is being charged for)  so would like to mention everything as they were shafted by a committee member over fairly recent electrical work carried out. Like a lot of recent threads on here, i cant be bothered to look anything up or rely on experience because its easier to ask you lot   I mean i wondered what your views are on some items i know are existing.

A lot of the rooms have demountable ceilings with various light fittings that are all flexed to old 2 Amp plugs which do not have sleeved pins. Also the sockets (mainly the old round style fitted to conduit boxes & fed via MICC)  do not have shutters on the holes  ?

A fairly new fire alarm system was fitted mainly in self adhesive trunking that is falling off the walls.  I know this does not meet BS5839  but  can i mention it here ?

New emg ltg scheme, No external emergency lights on very dark rear fire escapes, once again is that something that should be mentioned here. ?

Also whole building wired to one new circuit for all emg ltg (that one i know, just mentioning it)

Now, how long till someone says 'the regs are not retrospective', so i can reply 'why is it we seem to pick and choose what we want to report'. You are inspecting to the current regulations.

There are some more when i remember them.

A lot of the rooms have demountable ceilings with various light fittings that are all flexed to old 2 Amp plugs which do not have sleeved pins. Also the sockets (mainly the old round style fitted to conduit boxes & fed via MICC)  do not have shutters on the holes  ?
The reg in question requires shuttered sockets in household and similar installations where children may have access to them, assuming that all of these lighting sockets are located above the ceiling, then I see no reason that its a problem, unless you have an infestation of todlers above the ceiling!

A fairly new fire alarm system was fitted mainly in self adhesive trunking that is falling off the walls.  I know this does not meet BS5839  but  can i mention it here ?

New emg ltg scheme, No external emergency lights on very dark rear fire escapes, once again is that something that should be mentioned here. ?

Also whole building wired to one new circuit for all emg ltg (that one i know, just mentioning it)
Fire alarm and emergency lighting observations would be noted, but not allocated a defect code (as its not a BS7671 issue). The limiations section should make clear that the fire alarm and em lighting are not included. In the summary of the report I'd mention that some issues shown themselves with the fire alarm and em lighting during the inspection of the fixed wiring and therewore we recommend a full inspection is carried out of these services to establish compliance with the relevant british standards

Tell me where it is n `I'll go make some c1's for you ;)

Also do the odd freebee for the community centre we operate out of, pretty much the same stuff... never done an EICR for them a lot of the equipment is 1970's original.

Ah well makes a change from IKEA fittlngs :facepalm:   

I thought there would have been a few more replies to this.

Phoenix, what reg number(s) are you referring to  ?  Check out 553.1.100 household or similar, mmm.  What about the good old Ashley rock rose, must be thousands in use and i dont remember them being shuttered or the plugs having shielded pins.

Well I've not got the book to hand but (and I've had a few malts) ;

Containment not fixed to building fabric must be under some reg? Hazard a guess C3.

Plug pins, not fixed wiring so covered by........portable appliance testing not eicr,  personally i would note it but not code it.

Lack of external em lighting, again note it no code.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fixed wiring only....limitations 

Of course i am aware of this, it just seems a cop out not really there for this purpose. In this case (and nearly all office blocks) the lights are part of the installation .

An example of a fault i found elsewhere,  All the class 1 lights had no cpc connected and over the years of twisting in the ES lamp & holder  the live was touching the case on quite a few fittings. Mounted on the ceiling tiles insulated them until someone stood on a chair to stick up some Christmas decorations and bang, on the floor.

Hmmm

Well inspect and test as fixed wiring, with advisory note about bringing plugs and outlets up to current standards.

Not sure there would definitive  answer but the fact plugs are  in use surely separates the light fittings from the fixed wiring installation?

Hate using the BB playbook, takes forever to type stuff, plus productive text is a ducking twat

Fire Alarm and Emergency Lighting should be tested and inspected and appropriate certificates issued, not on the EICR.

2A plug tops, BS546, I don't think there is a requirement for them to have insulated pins, MK, Crabtree and others still sell them.

The emergency lighting still should be inspected to BS7671,  but we are not interested if it  meets  BS5266  as part of a EICR

Edit, for Sidewinder as the quote doesn't seem to be working ?

Good point,dont forget  560.9 also  

Last edited by a moderator:
I only searched for 5839, & did not even look above!

I was waiting for my client, and on the iPad, and they turned up just as I was posting, so I had to stop quickly!

Yes 560.09 is another one! ;)

Latest posts