Commute distance to the office every morning?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony Soprano

Quality over quantity
Reaction score
Hi guys just wanted to get some opinions. There’s a potential job I could go for direct on the books. But the problem is the office premises are 45 miles away from where I live. It would take an hour and 10 minutes to get there according to Google maps. It looks like a good opportunity but that’s a long way to be driving every morning before starting work. Would have to be up very early, say for eg if they wanted me there for 6. What’s your thoughts?
Would you say that further than 30 minutes away is not really ideal? Plus I got to drive to sites afterwards.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Hi guys just wanted to get some opinions. There’s a potential job I could go for direct on the books. But the problem is the office premises are 45 miles away from where I live. It would take an hour and 10 minutes to get there according to Google maps. It looks like a good opportunity but that’s a long way to be driving every morning before starting work. Would have to be up very early, say for eg if they wanted me there for 6. What’s your thoughts?
Would you say that further than 30 minutes away is not really ideal?
Thanks in advance.
I used to drive an hour each way to a job. It's not as bad as it sounds. In fact I miss listening to the radio like I used to on that journey.

I used to drive an hour each way to a job. It's not as bad as it sounds. In fact I miss listening to the radio like I used to on that journey.
I suppose it depends where the sites are located. It’s more the commute home I’m worried about. If don’t finish on a job until 5. Then gota get home. Or they want me to go to the yard before going home.

Last edited:
I think you are over thinking. Either you want the job or you don’t? Making excuses for why it’s not ideal is all you are doing, no job is ideal we have to give and take or inconvenience ourselves, but you balance that against what it’s worth to you.

so is the new job worh the extra travel time compared to where you are now? fact your asking would suggest it probably isnt
Depends what you want. I’m more bothered about the work life balance than the money. It is very good money thow

Then it sounds to me it’s not what you’re really looking for?
You have to choose a job where you heart is otherwise it will soon become tedious and unenjoyable, unless of course you are one that is not bothered by what you do nor interested in what you do, then you do what you have to do for the sake of doing it.
Having said that, I understand that sometimes we have to do what we have to do for the sake of the family.
It is a hard juggling act, I spent many years doing what was necessary for the sake of the family and not being happy with what I was doing. Now I am at a stage that I can have a choice in what I do as the demands upon me aren’t so great. Sometimes we have to be patient and endure to reap the benefits years down the line.

I suppose it depends where the sites are located. It’s more the commute home I’m worried about. If don’t finish on a job until 5. Then gota get home. Or they want me to go to the yard before going home.
It was worth the hassles because it was a good job. However, as soon as they announced shifting the factory to China and making nearly everyone redundant, I got out asap, as the motivation died with the announcement and the drive was no longer any fun.

Then it sounds to me it’s not what you’re really looking for?
You have to choose a job where you heart is otherwise it will soon become tedious and unenjoyable, unless of course you are one that is not bothered by what you do nor interested in what you do, then you do what you have to do for the sake of doing it.
Having said that, I understand that sometimes we have to do what we have to do for the sake of the family.
It is a hard juggling act, I spent many years doing what was necessary for the sake of the family and not being happy with what I was doing. Now I am at a stage that I can have a choice in what I do as the demands upon me aren’t so great. Sometimes we have to be patient and endure to reap the benefits years down the line.
I do enjoy the job mate but I’m trying to do what suits the family and makes me happy at the same time. I love getting stuck in with big install projects mainly but because I don’t want to do loads of travelling I’m limited. It’s a tough one. Like today I’ve been looking at some facilities maintenance roles. Mobile roles and static. Not bad money. Probably not any worse than cards in jobs doing install. But I’m just in limbo at the moment. Might just have the next year or two jumping between a few different things and see what takes my fancy.

It was worth the hassles because it was a good job. However, as soon as they announced shifting the factory to China and making nearly everyone redundant, I got out asap, as the motivation died with the announcement and the drive was no longer any fun.
I’d love too be a maintenance Electrician in production / manufacturing if I had the choice.

I’d love too be a maintenance Electrician in production / manufacturing if I had the choice.
That's not what I was doing at the time. It was just a good place to work and paid well. The company was Nortel who make the stuff that makes the internet work
I joined during the dot.com bubble, when money was no object and getting orders out was more important. It was lovely whilst it lasted. They also worked flexitime, so an unexpected traffic jam on the way to work was not a problem coz you could never be late. Likewise you could go home early, or alter travel times to avoid the worst of the commuter traffic. It was the later that helped convince me to go self employed.

That's not what I was doing at the time. It was just a good place to work and paid well. The company was Nortel who make the stuff that makes the internet work
I joined during the dot.com bubble, when money was no object and getting orders out was more important. It was lovely whilst it lasted. They also worked flexitime, so an unexpected traffic jam on the way to work was not a problem coz you could never be late. Likewise you could go home early, or alter travel times to avoid the worst of the commuter traffic. It was the later that helped convince me to go self employed.
I’m starting to see that the production maintenance has too much competition. Maybe better doing the commercial buildings maintenance. Or hospitals etc. I’ve worked in loads of hospitals. Money doesn’t look great on nhs thow 🙈. I’m sure I’ll get there eventually

I do enjoy the job mate but I’m trying to do what suits the family and makes me happy at the same time. I love getting stuck in with big install projects mainly but because I don’t want to do loads of travelling I’m limited. It’s a tough one. Like today I’ve been looking at some facilities maintenance roles. Mobile roles and static. Not bad money. Probably not any worse than cards in jobs doing install. But I’m just in limbo at the moment. Might just have the next year or two jumping between a few different things and see what takes my fancy.
Perhaps a stint on various sites will help settle your mind on one type.

I’m starting to see that the production maintenance has too much competition. Maybe better doing the commercial buildings maintenance. Or hospitals etc. I’ve worked in loads of hospitals. Money doesn’t look great on nhs thow 🙈. I’m sure I’ll get there eventually
Commercial buildings is probably a lot easier. A change is as good as a rest. I got bored with house bashing and went into solar panels, which was far more fun for a while.

Commercial buildings is probably a lot easier. A change is as good as a rest. I got bored with house bashing and went into solar panels, which was far more fun for a while.
Commercial solar installs? Not domestic? I’ve seen some jobs advertised for that but it says domestic. I would like to do that if it’s commercial

Finding your ideal job that ticks all your boxes on your doorstep is likely to never happen.
It is all too easy to look at all the negatives in a job advert even before you even get to that all important interview stage and have the opportunity to get more information on what the job entails and decide whether it suits you or not
The problem these days is social media can play a part in whether you get to an interview or not and employers look to research potential employees through many channels to get their short list and the negativity shown by the OP across many posts on here would not bode well IMO
The work / life balance thing is a difficult one when you have a lifestyle / standard of living to maintain that requires a certain level of earnings to be met and can make changing jobs more difficult

Latest posts