Competent Persons questions

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ehorwich

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I have a few questions about being able to sign off major works certificates in the UK and have some questions that I keep getting different answers depending on who I ask, so here goes.

Firstly, I have my DEI (Domestic Installers Award), my BS 7671 18th Edition and my ECS Trainee Card. I am also hoping to get my City & Guilds 2391-52 Inspection & Testing certificate when colleges begin to reopen. Here goes, question 1.

1) Will the City & Guilds 2391-52 Inspection & Testing certificate class me as a competent person and allow me to carry out EICR and issue major works certificates?

2) Do I need to be a member of a competent person’s scheme (NICEIC/Elecsa/Napit/Stroma) to carry out EICR and issue major works certificates? (according to the part P Electricians Guide I do not need to be a member, but it does not say how to become a competent person).

3) With my current qualifications am I eligible to be a competent person?

4) If I do choose a scheme it will most likely be Stroma (and work my way up to either NICEIC or Napit). According to Stroma, I need to provide works certificates when the do an evaluation, without being a competent person does this mean they will only look at minor works certificates, as I can’t sign off major works.

Thanks

1: you only need to be competent. the fact you have some short courses and you can only get a trainee ECS card kinda shows how valid your qualifications are

2: you only need to register with a scam to notify jobs to building control. otherwise no requirement to line their pockets

3: maybe. maybe not. knowledge and experience is what makes you competent, not a bit of paper saying you passed an exam

4: anyone competent enough to be passing scam membership (which tbh isnt hard) should be able to fill in an EIC. doubt they would accept MWC's on their own, but who knows

short courses are usually worth nothing and full of false promises. an appreticeship takes 4 years. really think you can learn enough on a short course?

Last edited by a moderator:
As a fully qualified spark, which your qualifications and ECS card show you are not, then you should be both capable and competent to complete an EIC on your own installs, as for EICR this usually requires greater experience and The CPS’s will require the addition of the full 2391. 

sadly there are too many persons such as yourself that are sold a dream but really only sold up the river with the short course qualification.