Conduit & 17th

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe if you look at the 17th edition swa is aloud also screened cables ie fp200 and conduit to be used so that rcd protection is not equired unles its for socket outlets. this is because to be able to come into contact with a line conductor you first have to break through the cpc
I'm not sure about FP200, after all the 'metal' is only a foil wrap designed to protect it from fire. It's not designed for mechanical protection.

As far as I was aware, its metal conduit, metal trunking, SWA and MICC only. :)

not so sure about FP either, but as I understand it any properly screened cable is acceptable,

would you class FP as screened?,

my thoughts of screened would be if the screen is acceptable as the CPC.

pyro, SWA, SY etc.

SY may actually be a viable alternative for the switch wires in some instances.

SY may actually be a viable alternative for the switch wires in some instances.
Ah...... But as SY is used for control cables and all wires are black marked with numbers and one CPC you'll have to sleeve a black with a blue! :^O

Sorry Steps but I couldn't resist! ]:)

I believe if you look at the 17th edition swa is aloud also screened cables ie fp200 and conduit to be used so that rcd protection is not equired unles its for socket outlets. this is because to be able to come into contact with a line conductor you first have to break through the cpc
Is that like Girls Aloud, but without the miniskirts ; \ ; \

I am sure FP is not allowed , as Steptoe has so rightly mentioned

i am sure, was told by a lecturer that fp 200 was ok but i stand to be corrected, i see what you mean that the foil is not connected th cpc

I have been on the prysmian website and they state the fp200 cable screen is in full contact with the cpc which should make it compatible with the 17th

craig

I have been on the prysmian website and they state the fp200 cable screen is in full contact with the cpc which should make it compatible with the 17thcraig
There is an artical in this months 'Wiring Matters' about concealed cables. From 522.6.8 Cables shall incorporate an earthed mettallic covering which complies with the requirements of these regulations for a protective circuit conductor of the circuit concerned, the cable compling with BS 5467, BS 6346, BS 6724, BS 7846, BS EN 60702-1 or BS 8436

So, I would understand that means only MICC and SWA as they are the only two cables desighed to use the armour as a CPC. FP and SY metallic coverings are only for fire protection and mechanical protection respectively.

Also FP200 and SY is not complient with the above BS and BS EN standards.

Also SY is not suitable for connection to the public mains supply! http://www.eland.co.uk/electrical-cables/control-flexible/cable37/sy-control-cable.html

here, see the 'note' part way down the page