Conduit & 17th

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I looked in on the ****off forum for the first time in weeks, nothing changed. A point was raised , which i had recently discussed with my Partner ( everyone there belittled the poster). If you fit 20mm steel conduit from a switch box to the floor/ceiling, earthed at the box, then no rcd is needed.

Discuss :|

This will probably be reported there soon ; \

Only useful for lighting, smokes and FCU radials.

I'm not too fussed about lights being on rcd/rcbo's. However I would put the lights on the floor where the CU is on an rcbo. So when the sockets on any level trip at least the lights where the CU are on a independent circuit and still lit!

FCU radials; it can be handy to ignore the rcd rules when running a FCU for an immersion tank or boiler. Mind you as boilers are hidden away why not run the FCU in surface mount plastic conduit from under the floorboards?

Probably the best use for it may well be smoke/heat alarms (I don't want my smokes to trip out because of a fault on another circuit) but you could run it in MICC, which for that circuit would be the best way as it is fireproof! (For a few hours anyway.)

My views if i was doing a new build i would put cooker circuit through earthed conduit so circuit would then not need 30mA rcd protection at least then you would not get call out on xmas day for nusaince tripping of rcd.

batty

This will probably be reported there soon ; \

Well, If it is, Slips - It would be a member from here - Because you have to be a registered user to look at the forum now Mate.

Can you clarify, if you run a cable in conduit say for lights up the walls ,can you still run the cables through the joists and not require an rcd, or does the conduit have to run the full length of the circut

my opinion is to protect each circuit by rcbo for lights, cooker wh boiler etc and sockets and outdoor stuff to go on rcd protected side. :|

Nice one Theo!!regarding op; I would concur slips; however, as for general usage on house bashing, it simply wouldn`t be financially viable. IMHO
The cost of an RCBO or RCD - vs - bashin & fixing conduit???

I think KME has the right thoughts here..

run cables as norm..

just add the RCD/RCBO!

Additionally..

If you start going down the conduit route..

Your cable capacities are going to be lower!? :( :eek: :|

how about utilizing earthscreened cabling as that would comply with the regs

craig

how about utilizing earthscreened cabling as that would comply with the regscraig
I don't believe it will. Steel conduit is about all that's accepted as unless you try really really hard you ain't goning to get through it. Swa is not acceptable, neither FP type cables. However on The IET forum they were talking about a new type of FP that will be acceptable.

I don't believe it will. Steel conduit is about all that's accepted as unless you try really really hard you ain't goning to get through it. Swa is not acceptable, neither FP type cables. However on The IET forum they were talking about a new type of FP that will be acceptable.
I think this was about a FP400 version. However if SWA isn't acceptable (but I'm not sure it isn't) I can't see how a fire-proof cable can be?

I believe if you look at the 17th edition swa is aloud also screened cables ie fp200 and conduit to be used so that rcd protection is not equired unles its for socket outlets. this is because to be able to come into contact with a line conductor you first have to break through the cpc

I believe if you look at the 17th edition swa is aloud also screened cables ie fp200 and conduit to be used so that rcd protection is not equired unles its for socket outlets. this is because to be able to come into contact with a line conductor you first have to break through the cpc
This is also my understanding. Very well put, MR CJS - scoob for you!