conduit and quality

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonkeyDong

Reaction score
i've been doing some conduit and metal clad work, has anyone else found the knockouts on the boxes getting bigger and bigger? Its getting to the point where the collar or bush will pass through the hole!

I might have to start using a washer each side! Lol

D.

I believe it to be about a 1-2mm play all round. Still, it is better to have it slightly larger, Eh? :)

I find my bush spanner won't grip on the bushes as the bush is too small..what's that all about? I guess better quality control/less material means more profit.

I think it might be the bush/collar that is reducing.

I've probably got some from a few years back, I'll have to check the sizes against some new ones.

To be honest, the new ones do seem smaller :(

D.

ps - I just wanted to use this smiley :S

you might be right.

Its just a general observation - over the years they have been getting worse. I'm sure when i started with electrics nearly twenty years ago they were better then! Lol

I sound like an old man - when i were a lad..... Lol :(

D.

I think it might be the bush/collar that is reducing.I've probably got some from a few years back, I'll have to check the sizes against some new ones.

To be honest, the new ones do seem smaller :(

D.

ps - I just wanted to use this smiley :S
Sorry...

you are not allowed to use the spam :S smiley without written permission from admin..

with full H&S risk assessment of :S:S:S overkill

Normally they need two weeks notice before authorising a :S usage...

and if you use :S out of context...

then you could be grounded from :S posting for a month!! :_| ]:)Blushing

I might have to start using a washer each side!
Still use the old lead washers every now and again at work! They also have the old cast iron accessory boxes where you have to drill the 20mm holes yourself if you need to add new conduit to the system. Thank god for knock-outs! :^O

Clamp some wood on the underside of where the hole is going to be, then pass the correct size holecutter through it

Un-clamp the wood.

I much prefer the blind boxes with no prepressed holes. Just makes life that much easier.