Confused?!?!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparky007

Reaction score
howdy folks,

This happens to be my first post so be gentle.

I dont really dabble in the domestic side of things, only schools,commercial and industrial.

so i was adding a pendant and a new switch for a friend, i isolated and checked at pendant to my suprise there was 50v on the circuit. i just cant understand it, maybe just not experienced enough?? but i was thinking maybe induced from another circuit?? what are your thoughts???

welcome...

And YES...

I would concur with you basic diagnosis..

tis not uncommon to have apparent stray voltage floating around,

when ends are loose and not tied down to any other part of the circuit.

;) :D

now have a drink & put your feet up;)Guiness Drink

so would you check every termination on the circuit???
No need..

there is no problem..

I assume you were testing with the MCB off..

i.e. the live is open circuit?

and using a digital multi meter or similar?

Just an apparent voltage which isn't really anything once the bits are wired back up & switched on!

Did it all work when you joined it all back up?

:)

my guess would be neutral and line swapped over, and you are measuring the voltage in series with a bulb somewhere. :(

Check everywhere for a reversed neutral and line.

D.

Just read the thread..

Guess i'll be seeing a few more of these cunumdrums over the next 40 years or so!!!

everything worked fine,it just had me a bit baffled.

had a similar prob during my apprenticeship, with a thermostat controling a two port valve, the heating wasn't coming on so checked out the system and tried to trace the fault, disconnected the valve and stat ends of a 3c+e and still had 50v L-E.

Was pulled off to another job before i knew the outcome, so everything now makes abit more sense.

Thanks for that lads;)

Just read the thread..Guess i'll be seeing a few more of these cunumdrums over the next 40 years or so!!!

Thanks for that lads;)
no probs;) :)

wots more...

I think we need to promote you to "Professor Sparky007"....

anyone who can use big words like conundrums has got to be clever!!:DApplaud Smiley:) :)

{even if it was spelt wrong... still clever fitting it into a cohesive sentence:D}

i cant help it, i've never been in a forum before.

does it always go to your head like this!! ; \

Latest posts