Connections

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparky999

Reaction score
Evening chaps, just wanting your best thoughts to connecting on to an existing wire e.g moving switch over with not enough cable to divert, and then being concealed under the plasterboard or whatever fills the hole where the connections are made.

Through connectors, Mate.

I have heat shrink ones with their own adhesive.

I would also put an extra heat shrink over the top of that too.

You can burt this type of connection as it is classed as a perminant join.

cheers mate just normal 5,15,30 ... amp connectors, what about crimping is that a possibilty?

cheers mr diaz i thought he meant that but just tryin to keep him on his toes. :)

You could of course just twist them together, and put a bit of insulating tape round the joints, before wacking a load of polyfilla on it.

It must be ok, cos I've come across this tried and trusted method several times... :p

haha now thats an idea indeed but i prefer a bit of bonding haha:p

I have heard it say that Wriggleys attacks the polymer used in cable making and that after 500 years it breaks down the insulation :p

Yes barrel crimps are fine with either heat shrink or insulation tape. And the reason for the heat shrink and/or tape is to ensure double insulation is maintained. This means using insulated barrel crimps in the first place else it would be only single insulated and if un-insulated barrels then use double layers of insulation.

Remember the good old days when we used to just twist the cables into a ceramic and shove plaster around the 'joint' :^O

In South America they still twist cables together and wrap them up in tape

I know i had one work for me 4 years ago, upon inspection of his work, i nearly had a heart attack ]:)

I asked him why, he told me it took up less space inside the boxes :(

I could of fit 100 groups of cables in these boxes, and we are using only 25

His said he did not understand me.

Mornin' and a fine day it is too (other than I am at work having to use a grotty MS Windoze based PC :_| )

Other than that its all :D

lol Mr. Diaz as I say the good old days - and SA took all their practices from us!!!

Mind he IS right you CAN get more inside :p

Gotta laugh mind

grandSlam.jpg

Grrrrrrr........ X(

Ok, Wales deserved the Grand Slam! You've a good side but we'll be coming after you next year! :p

Erm...

Maybe I missed it, but there is the possible question of "safe zones" appearing here. If the cables run vertically, and the switch is moving horizontally, the cables in question would be outside the safe zone!!!!!