Conservatory Job

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Correct BD, I did notice before energising but yes it would have been reverse polarity.................just goes to show how we trundle along following what is marked on the switches, complacency could have ruined my day.

Delayed in replying .........................mother called :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting, now Dave has said the Main Switch can go left or right side, so are you saying if it goes to left you have to put L to N and N to L.

I was under the impression the off-set on the bus bars  is what would allow it left or right.

I've always requested right side main switch so not had this issue.

Hi M107

As you know, I spotted the problem immediately and phoned you about it and apologised for my oversight.

For the information of the others who are following this thread:-

The problem occurred because I inadvertently failed to remove the L and N labels on the TDline switch.

I started using the TDline switch, which is a generic switch used around the world, because I was having problems buying my original MIS-100 SBS switch. The TDline body is slightly shorter than my Compact and Standard RCBOs, which allowed me to insert the copper link, when the spec called for one or two MCBs on the DIN rail. However, I have now come up with a different MCB bridge design, that doesn't require it to be inserted in the gap, so I have decided to revert back to my original switch, which I should have in stock early May.

M107 spotted the problem after he had taken the photo, so he corrected the switch labels, reversed the tails and the problem was solved. The switch can be located either end of the DIN rail, but the busbar design is different and is not transferable.

If more explanation is required, I would be happy to post photos, showing the busbar configurations.

One thing we can all agree on, is the massive amount of room in the board, which is just one of the advantages of using Compacts.

SBS Dave

I haven't used my photobucket acc for ages and cant remember  the name they give, but rather than click the link you are, one of the others  will post the picture here  . But you dont even have to use  a hosting site, you can upload a pic direct from your laptop/device  to here  via the more reply options

Further to my earlier post.

The attached photos show how I bridge across MCBs, to enable MCBs and Compacts to be installed on the same DIN rail.

Because the link sticks out rather than being tucked in behind the main LIVE busbar, it means I can use my original Main Switch, which has the same body length as my Compacts. I shall start supplying my own switch again in the near future.

Obviously, I am showing the busbars without insulators, but it also illustrates why the L/H busbars are different from R/H ones.

Incidentally, the devices I use in these mockups are faulty ones or differently labelled ones I have accumulated over the last few years.

MCB Link #1.JPG

MCB Link #2.JPG

MCB Link #3.JPG

MCB Link #4.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: