Contactor problem

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leejohnson222

Reaction score
A bank of light's is out in a plant room.

The switches are not pulling in one out of 2 contactors. However if you kill the supply to the contactors and reinstate the bank of light come back on and time out depending on the setting. I can't get the contactor to operate as usual with the switches. There is power at all switches. Is the issue a faulty contactor ?

So is there an overload trip on the contactor?

Most likely a time delay contactor of some variety.

Probably not get an answer and just go round the houses for 2 pages though. OP is not very good at explaining the issue and answering questions.

Yes time delay  next to the contactors to kill the lights. I have adjusted these after reseting the contactors breaker and they do operate correctly.

No overload trip. One contactor is working and some lights are on the 2nd contactor is not operating unless you turn the breaker to the contactor off and back on.

Last edited by a moderator:
 No its a whole bank that won't switch on as normal. The lights that are off will all come on when you reset the contactors feed but not with any light switch. 3 switches in the room all live and tested.

Just call a competent electrician already. You are just turning up prodding things here and there hoping for the best.

You have to look at how it's wired (trace it out if no documentation) I am struggling to understand what the time delay is for with a light switch operating a contactor. Have you even checked that the light switch is functioning and turning on the supply when in the on position.

None of us are there so we can't see how it's wired and how it is supposed to function.

I was a house basher so industrial was never really something I did. You dont tend to install contactors in domestic properties. However I appreciate the negativity nothing like the internet for getting knocked down and put down. Always cheers me up and makes me glad I asked for help on a forum that is set up for advice and help.

The switch operates the contactor which pulls in banks of lights localised to each switch. To save energy the timer kills the lights so they can't be left on all night or over a weekend. If your in the room working and the lights go out you just use the switch again. Each switch is 2 gang, corridor and a local bank of light's near each switch. Every switch has corridor. The corridor is the one not working at every switch you try.

I was a house basher so industrial was never really something I did. You font tend to install contactors in domestic properties.

So you just thought courgette it, I'll take on jobs I know nothing about and then ask on the internet? Wrong attitude. Nothing wrong with changing directions and learning new skills, this isn't the way to do it though. I clear up enough lettuced after some housebasher has been through a commercial installation already without more of you joining in.

This isn't a complicated subject, you just need to test it. You have provided no info that is of any use and we are 12 posts in. You are clearly not of the logical mindset. You haven't even said what the contactor is yet. No-one here knows what to tell you to do, you want your hand holding from the start, you haven't even done any basic tests.

All you had to do was ask what contactor it is and I would comment.

I understand your attitude but I'm not trying to cut corners or not give enough information on here. So I apologise for not being clear and not providing enough info. I thought providing the fault and general operation of the setup was adequate.I have tested each switch to see that it's functional.

All you had to do was ask what contactor it is and I would comment.

Why make us do the work? You are the one who is getting paid for the job, if you want help then provide as much info as possible. You still haven't indicated whether you have even bothered to test anything yet (and I don;t mean just flicking the switches/power on and off). This job should have taken no time at all to test and verify what was wrong on site. You are clearly in over your head.

What I think lurch is getting at is that once you establish what is/isn't working then you need to tackle it in a logical sequence, testing as you go included. Once this is done then you'd be in a better position to ask a relevant question and provide sufficient detail to allow us to help you.  You may even find that you will come up with a possible solution etc. 

No its a whole bank that won't switch on as normal. The lights that are off will all come on when you reset the contactors feed but not with any light switch. 3 switches in the room all live and tested.
What is contactor feed? 

The A1 to pull in the coil or the load. To pass through the contactor. Have you tested if there is 230v between A1 and A2? 

What is the output voltage from the timer, how long does it stay live for.

Ok let me do some testing after the weekend and see if I cam logically follow  the wiring and figure it for myself. I will provide more info after.

Sorry I keep messing up with my posts and descriptions.

well if its not working correctly then testing is usually the first step into finding out why, not running to a forum to ask if the contactor is faulty. er, we dont know. why dont you test it?

Yeah I agree, my fault trying to rush things doesn't help. I will go through it and eliminate possible issues one step at a time. How would anyone on a forum be able to tell if anything is faulty.