Converting 3 phase car ramp to single phase

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neepcutter

Reaction score
Hi All

I am new on here and looking for some advice on converting a car ramp to single phase. This particular ramp is sold in 2 versions single or 3 phase. I bought a 2nd hand 3 phase version at very handy money so can justify a bit of spend on it.

The 3 phase version i have has a 2.6KW 4 pole motor driving a 4.8cm3/g pump

The factory single phase version would have had a 2.2KW 2 pole motor driving a 2.0cm3/g pump

So question is ,worth a shot at buying a cheap 7.5KW VFD of Amazon and wire it in 240v delta config or swop it over to a 3.0KW 2 pole Cap start single phase motor B14  not sure what route would provide the most start up torque especially when the ramp is loaded

Any advice would be most appreciated

if the motor is 230/400 then an inverter may work but if its the more usual 400/690 then no. easiest option would be to change the motor but you may need something a bit more powerful

Hi All

I am new on here and looking for some advice on converting a car ramp to single phase. This particular ramp is sold in 2 versions single or 3 phase. I bought a 2nd hand 3 phase version at very handy money so can justify a bit of spend on it.

The 3 phase version i have has a 2.6KW 4 pole motor driving a 4.8cm3/g pump

The factory single phase version would have had a 2.2KW 2 pole motor driving a 2.0cm3/g pump

So question is ,worth a shot at buying a cheap 7.5KW VFD of Amazon and wire it in 240v delta config or swop it over to a 3.0KW 2 pole Cap start single phase motor B14 not sure what route would provide the most start up torque especially when the ramp is loaded

Any advice would be most appreciated
Change motor. Do you also need to change pump or can you select a different pulley to suit the low power motor? It will seem painfully slow though.