Converting from single zone to dual-zone heating advice

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

Hope we are all keeping well. I just wanted to ask how difficult it would be to go from a single zone to dual zone heating based upon my current config.

I'm in an all electric flat renovated in around 2004 which has electric panel heaters in each room and a large double coil immersion boiler. When I moved in it previously had a Siemens RWB9 installed which was controlling the boiler and heating. I switched that for a drayton controller which was basically just a direct switch. I can see that the drayton is turning the relays in that box on and off, so I was just wondering how difficult or easy it would be to convert this to a dual zone system? So that the living room and bedroom heating is controlled separately? Here are some pictures of the box https://photos.app.goo.gl/tFZu8Z6wTzrX5scJ7 I mean.
I did even try to look into the panel radiators to see if I could add a switch there, but they appear to have some kind of seimens box / plug behind each radiator which I can't seem to find much about on the internet.

Is it as simple as replacing those circuit breaker with separate ones? I presume then maybe additional wiring would also have to be added from behind the fuse box to where the controller is on the wall?

Thanks in advance, any help would be greatly appreciated!

If your new controller is just turning the contactors on and off, then no at the moment it is all on one zone, there is just one contactor for the heaters and one for the water heater.

It might be possible to swap that one heating contactor for two contactors and split the heating into 2 zones, and then use something like the Horstman 3 channel programmer.

Can you post a picture of this mystery Siemens box behind the heaters? could it be a wireless switch so previously you could control all the heaters individually but now you have removed that original controller you might have lost that function.

What make are the panel heaters?

Thanks for the assistance Dave, much appreciated!

So the previous controller was like this with just basic timer and on/off functions. I don't think it had any configurable zones as far as I know. But it was definitely all on a one-zone when we moved in last year. I think this flat was done in around 2004 time.

What I'd really like to do is control the panel radiators. Two zones would be fine if at the controller end. Or alternatively, it would be even better if I could wirelessly control each individual radiator, but I haven't quite been able to figure it out yet.

I just saw the contactors and made me wonder if it would be as simple as replacing it with separate ones and upgrading the hub to a three channel/dual zone heating and hot water. Having said that, I presume some new wiring may have to be laid down between the contactors and the controller wallplate?

I had a look at the panel heaters but haven't understood how they work fully yet. Here are some pictures of the panel heaters. https://photos.app.goo.gl/NGeugfH1ESvt6PFS9

I've used a lot of sonoff type devices over the years to make various things wifi like this and have replaced various light switches with things like this however due to there being a fuse on the wall switch, have been uncertain about the wall switch suitability.
Furthermore, there appear to be 4 wires going from the box to the back of the radiator. Presumably three are live, neutral and earth , but not sure re the 4th. Could I just cut that wire and splice the sonoff 16A in between the live, neutral and earth? Seems a bit sketchy in terms of heat and it being behind a radiator! That is as far as I got thinking about the radiators themselves!

Thanks in advance for the advice!