Cooker beats socket?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TTbangbang

Trainee DEI
Reaction score
The OSG states that there are two types of radial circuits permitted for socket outlets - A. 2.5mmsq with 20A mcb, or B. 4mmsq with 32A mcb.

A 2.7W electric hob with 13A plug needs to be installed [There is already a gas cooker in place].

Do you recommend a radial circuit (voltdrop considered etc), running to a double pole switched socket outlet, of:

1. 2.5mmsq with 16A mcb (calculated circuit design).

2. 2.5mmsq with 20A mcb (standard radial circuit A).

3. 6mmsq with 32A mcb (future proofing for up to 7kW cooker for next occupants).

4. Guiness Drink

5. something else?

Thanks for any input. My answer would've been 1., but I'd be interested in your learned views :^O seeing as it's not a standard radial circuit for socket outlets.

TTbb

TT

I would...

32a mcb 4mm to cooker isolator 4mm to double socket behind cooker

big red book pg 363

if at a later date they decide to goto 7.2kw then they put cooker outlet plate in with a single socket

dont forget diversity for a cooker/hob

I`d prob. go for option 3, dependant on the availability of upgrading circuit at a later date.............

i.e. If the CU is "the other side of the wall", just feed what is needed at the moment, as a new or upgraded line can always be added later...

Just my POV, mate

KME

Thanks for the sane responses guys. All a much of a muchness I guess, it's gonna have to be No.4 :)

As a consolation I've added you to my best buddy list :D

If I knew what scoobs were and how to give positive feedback I would do that too ;)

TT. On the post that you you think you should be acknowledged, Click on the "Scales" Next to the post number.