cooker on a platform curious

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pcprorepairer

Reaction score
Advice anyone? just bought a new Hotpoint electric cooker with "free" fitting (must be built into the price naturally) reading the instruction booklet it says "should not be installed on a platform"

The old cooker fits between units 600mm gap and is on an offcut of 30mm worktop which brings it to level height of the kitchen worktops - and protects the vinyl flooring. so what is the issue of mounting the new cooker on a raised piece the same or ply or wood or similar? I reaslise the cooker has adjustable feet but I like the way the old cooker seems to look.

Only thing I can think of is that it can fall forward onto you if you withdraw it from its location; (presumably an expected action for occasional cleaning). Otherwise what possible difference is there between a floor and a platform?

Does it mean a raised platform as in suspended?
I can’t imagine that a piece of worktop on the floor to site it on is going to cause a problem?
Interestingly why are the units so high in the first place?

A lot of old cookers strangely did seem a little short and needed to be put on a platform to reach the worktop.

Ask for the specification of minimum and maximum floor to worktop height, and then replace your old worktop platform, which is probably too thick, with a very much thinner piece of plywood, making sure the (raised) floor to worktop height is within the range of adjustment for the cooker.